SOS 2016 - What is your expectation? Who is Going?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am so excited that I can't seem to sleep.
It's kinda like Christmas Eve for me (even though it is still a few days away).
My wife, however, says its kinda like a disease and my daughter just rolls her eyes.

My expectations:
To not blow my mind and pass out within the first five minutes (no matter how many times I go I seem to always become overwhelmed when I walk through the door first thing on Thursday).
To have fun!
To find some cool things to fill holes in my collection.
To cross some things off my wish list.
To not have to use the ATM while I am there.
To have enough money left over for gas and food on the drive home.
To see all of the fantastic finds everyone else has discovered.

For all of you who are first timers to the show let me just say that (and hopefully others will confirm this) it is truly amazing to see so much militaria in one location. Before I went the first time I had often heard that shows like this were over priced, etc. but I have never had a disappointing visit yet. If you are flush with cash you will find stuff. If you are rather limited in your funds, you will find stuff. There will be overpriced items, retail priced items and deals, you just have to take your time, do the digging, strike up the conversation, smile, be friendly and you will have an excellent experience!

Hope to cross paths with some of you there.

Steve from Michigan.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2019.gif

My wife, however, says its kinda like a disease and my daughter just rolls her eyes.

My expectations:

To not blow my mind and pass out within the first five minutes (no matter how many times I go I seem to always become overwhelmed when I walk through the door first thing on Thursday).

To have fun!

To find some cool things to fill holes in my collection.

To cross some things off my wish list.

To not have to use the ATM while I am there.

To have enough money left over for gas and food on the drive home.

To see all of the fantastic finds everyone else has discovered.

For all of you who are first timers to the show let me just say that (and hopefully others will confirm this) it is truly amazing to see so much militaria in one location. Before I went the first time I had often heard that shows like this were over priced, etc. but I have never had a disappointing visit yet. If you are flush with cash you will find stuff. If you are rather limited in your funds, you will find stuff. There will be overpriced items, retail priced items and deals, you just have to take your time, do the digging, strike up the conversation, smile, be friendly and you will have an excellent experience!

Hope to cross paths with some of you there.

Steve from Michigan.

A suggestion. ..ATM...I hear complaints. ..CASH. ..bring plenty.A lot of us will take checks also.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I've taken PayPal, Cash ("Country Money", it's good in every country), Personal Checks, I.O.U.'s and Many "Wimpy Deals" ("I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a piece of militaria today"-as in Wimpy in the old Popeye cartoons...You young folks will have to look that up), Watches, Credit Cards, Square and even a few empty promises!

Ed Hicks

WARPATH Military Collectibles

819 Hope Mills Road

Fayetteville, North Carolina

(910) 425-7000

Always buying U.S. Airborne & Vietnam Special Forces artifacts and groupings, Painted and Rare U.S. Helmets; U.S. Valor Medal Groupings, Fine Swords...

Buying or trading for my collection: 1950s-1970s Vietnam era Rolex & Tudor Watches...

Contact me before you sell... [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

My Web Sites: http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org

http://www.warpathmilitaria.com 

Posted Image

A suggestion. ..ATM...I hear complaints. ..CASH. ..bring plenty.A lot of us will take checks also.

CORRECT. For the past couple of years we have been addressing that on Tuesday when we meet with our event coordinator and pick up the keys. They reach out to the bank that manages the ATM, and they come stock it up. Still, it runs dry. Quickly.

If you are planning to augment your cash supply with checks, paypal, credit cards, etc. be aware that the dealers are mostly all collectors as well, and are at the show to buy as much (or sometimes more) than sell. Cash is king. If you are asking for a nice discount on an item, it is courteous (and expected, for the most part) that you will return the favor by paying in cash. If you plan to pay via an alternative method, expect to pay tag price or very close to it. Your mileage will vary with that depending on the different dealers, of course, but it is something you should consider in advance.

Almost there... it's almost over. Can't wait for Monday, February 22

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Sadly I'll be missing this year, primarily due to our sinking Canadian dollar which currently sits at .71 cents US, the exchange however tends to make purchases another 10-12% higher still.

I'm sure I will wake up on the 25th here on the west coast in a cold sweat, head spinning and shaking from the withdrawal and shock of not being there this year. I plan on going straight to my war room and inhaling as much of that sweet musty OD scent as my collection will give off! :) ....and of course I'll be texting with my regular SOS table-mates sgtdorango and zotig111 (Mike and Tom) for some play-by-play action on the proceedings. I'll likely need a tumbler of single malt in hand to help manage my envy as I listen to the tales of victory from the trenches! ;)

Have fun all, good luck and good hunting!

Rick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items

My wife feels the exact same way. She was wondering if there was perhaps a Facebook group for the wives of Show of Shows attendees, so they call all discuss how to change the locks while we are gone.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

My trips to the SOS every year have been last minute mostly due to work trips. Now that I'm retired , I thought that would change and it would be easy to plan the trip. Well , it seem life gets even busier when people find out your not working.Guess what , it is last minute and I'm going. For years I have been buying some nice Vietnam era stuff there and the last few years have been selling, buying and trading. This year hopefully some selling and trading. Like many of you, I'm overwhelmed every time I go to the show. I never been disappointed no matter what I end up doing. Seeing the amount of rare items and visiting with friends and forum members is a bonus. Looking forward to the forecast too , as it was -12 degrees by me Sat. night. I hope everyone has a safe trip and a fun time and I'll see you there.

Regards, Mitch

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
Jimi Hendrix

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2020.gif

My trips to the SOS every year have been last minute mostly due to work trips. Now that I'm retired , I thought that would change and it would be easy to plan the trip. Well , it seem life gets even busier when people find out your not working.Guess what , it is last minute and I'm going. For years I have been buying some nice Vietnam era stuff there and the last few years have been selling, buying and trading. This year hopefully some selling and trading. Like many of you, I'm overwhelmed every time I go to the show. I never been disappointed no matter what I end up doing. Seeing the amount of rare items and visiting with friends and forum members is a bonus. Looking forward to the forecast too , as it was -12 degrees by me Sat. night. I hope everyone has a safe trip and a fun time and I'll see you there.

Regards, Mitch

Hey Mitch, if you find Bill Brooks tables stop and say hello. I will be camped out there. If not out strolling the aisles.

Jack.

donation2017.gif

Hey Guys,

I was just reading through this thread, it's killing me, I would LOVE to go! It seems like something comes up every year that either conflicts with the time or drains my wallet. This year I have a kid getting married in march and a trip to Hawaii in April with the little lady, so that takes care of the money part :D Otherwise, I would love to make the trip and buy a helmet and who knows what else. It would also be nice to meet a couple of you guys in person. I'm looking forward to seeing what you all bring back though : )

Have fun and happy hunting!

James

Going again this year and always a great time!

Looking for French, maybe a nice example pair of AAF bomber wings and whatever else I find.

Anyone here familiar with any dealers/collectors that might be interested in a early US Navy/China USS Wisconsin 1904 newsletter for sailors?

Haven't found anyone really focused on the early "Great White Fleet' 1900s/1920s US Navy/China connection yet...

We landed yesterday and there was snow everywhere. But today it was in the 40's and nice

Shorts weather!

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way.

We just received another 3" of snow here so 65 and and sunny in Louisville is a plus.

Here's to trying not to spend all my cash on Thursday and stealing away all the cool 'Nam stuff from everyone else!

Always interested in buying Vietnam-era Air Force, Army helicopter units, and Illinois veteran items.

Looking for items identified to Captain Charles M. Porter, Company C, 131st Infantry, 33rd Division AEF.

donation2013.gif

I wanted the clouds to part and the money tree to start shedding its leaves, but since neither is happening, the last-minute trip I was hoping for ain't gonna happen. More importantly, one of the kitties hurt her eye and needs medical drops three times a day for the next week. I'm the only family member she even trusts enough to approach her, let alone give her the eye drops -- those former stray cats are strangely loyal -- and that leaves me to do the job. So it goes.

Hopefully, I can make it one of these years.

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Had another snow day here, just what I needed to tie up some loose ends before heading out... Looking to be there Friday, bright and early.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif