Austin_Militaria

SOS 2016 - What is your expectation? Who is Going?

You will find a great many members, like myself, wearing the badge that Bob H. posted above. While having this on has helped a few times in the past to help ID other members, I find that most are so mesmerized by all the militaria that focusing on a name tag rates low on the list.

You can right click or control click on that badge to open the image in a new window or copy it so you can print it.

I suggest pinning it on your back.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

I'll be there with 8 tables of worldwide orders, decorations and medals (everything but Third Reich).

I can't promise cheese sandwiches, but I will know the shortest route to the pork sandwich seller.

I'm looking for US medal groups with unusual foreign awards or foreign groups with US awards.

Jeff Floyd

The universe is made up of neutrons, protons, electrons and morons

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I'll be there with 8 tables of worldwide orders, decorations and medals (everything but Third Reich).

I can't promise cheese sandwiches, but I will know the shortest route to the pork sandwich seller.

I'm looking for US medal groups with unusual foreign awards or foreign groups with US awards.

Ham-n-Cheese on sourdough. ..the one shown is no longer available. ..

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

If you are looking for patches I will have 6 tables filled with 24 cases of patches. Selling my collection of 60+ years. Will have Marine WW2 squadron patch as well as Army Air Force squadrons WW2. Large amount of WW1 patches. Featuring WW2 airborne patches many theater made available. Nurnberg and Japanese War Crimes patches. Armor patches including Daredevil and Remagen tabs. Rare TD patches including TD Instructor patch. OSS spearhead patch a real one, Jedburg wing,Bazooka badge,SAARF wing and tab and 3rd Contigent OG tab,Free Thai, ACC Bulgaria to mention some. Very rare but unknown unit the "Writing 69th" which was a small group of war correspondants which included Walter Kronkite and Andy Rooney. If you are looking for rare and better patches please check out my tables.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

You can right click or control click on that badge to open the image in a new window or copy it so you can print it.

I suggest pinning it on your back.

That looks terrific. Could I use this image to order a verclo patch? Just found a custom shop nearby the town.

Wild & Wonderful!

Still waiting for my table permission... Anyone knows the due date of that?

Wild & Wonderful!

My expectation is that someone here find a CBI or Pacific AAF group and sell it to me on here.......

.......seriously ;)

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I will be sharing a table with Robert Reichelderfer, but mostly just as a place to camp out when the old legs and feet give out.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

My expectation is that while you are all gathered at the SOS, I have been tipped off to another museum clean out! So, no SOS for me. I was an early member of the OVMS and still have a nice display trophy from one of the old Drawbridge Inn shows, and my member badge. I think its a great place to put faces to names and socialize. Other than that, my honest feelings over the last decade have been that its like the MAX. In many cases you can go to a local show, see the same dealer, and buy an item for a significantly lower price than said dealer would charge at the SOS or MAX.

Membership costs money, tables are more expensive, for many the trip is far, and then there are meals and lodging. So, as in any other business it gets added into the bottom line. Add to all of that the multitude of international buyers and prices are at a premium for sure. With all that said, many saavy dealers bring out great items and there is certainly something to be found for nearly every collector of any era. So overall its a great time, and one can find great items in great company, but for me the shine of it has dulled... Progress is needed but the Drawbridge days were awesome and Louisville has just gone down year after year imo.

I wish you all happy hunting and a great time, and I will look forward to reading about the treasures without having to deal with the crowds :P. I would also be lying if I didn't add that museum clean outs are free, and no matter what comes out, its like a great treasure hunt! So, I am just as excited for this as I used to be for OVMS/SOS. I guess I am just getting old, cranky and cheap :D .Scott.

donation2013.gif

I know what you are saying but most areas that have local shows are for those that collect patches very weak in general. These local shows for me are like Groundhog Day;the same stuff over and over. I do not think dealers charge more at this show compared to other shows. This is a show I feel for elite or advanced collecters willing to send money because they can usually find what they want. Going to a local show to expect a rare patch is like finging the needle in the hay stack. The SOS is a sure thing. Oh by the way I went to the museum dedicated to the Bushmasters in Phoenix and they did not have a single example of the WW2 patch; hope you have better luck at you hunt. I have never been disappointed buying at the SOS. Mort

donation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

I was never disappointed buying either, I guess what I am referring to are dealers from many of my local shows are dealers at the SOS, I am only 3 1/2 hours by car from Louisville. We have the Roberts Center fairly close by, we have all of the Michigan shows, we have the Toledo show, and of course a vast amount of gun and knife shows. Dealers from here go to the SOS and when they do the same patch you could get a week earlier for say $10 will be $20 at the SOS. Not everyone is guilty of this, but rest assured, it happens a lot. At an early Drawbridge Inn show a friend of mine and I shared a table. It was a large show as it combined with ASMIC and AAMUC. Sales were bit slow and he half jokingly said to me, "if it isn't selling raise the price". Which he then did on several items and wouldn't you know it, they sold! So, as I said, its a great place to have dealers and buyers from around the world gather and you can certainly find most anything, I would never question that. It just doesn't have the "shine" for me any more... While you can't go back, I just feel those earlier shows at the old Best Western and Drawbridge Inn were the best. I commend the planners for what they have done, and they have succeeded in making this a world destination, hard to top that. I guess for me, it just isn't comfortable anymore, so, I opt out. No loss for anyone but me, and I am doing fine. I everyone gets what they want at a fair price for both dealer and buyer! Scott..

donation2013.gif

I'm sure the coffee was hotter, the girls were prettier and the militaria was better "back in the day", but personally I'm still pretty excited about the SoS.

I know I will find some thing (probably several things) I can't live without and I will get to spend time with friends I only see once or twice a year. In my mind its the best weekend of the year.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

Bring your running shoes,Just to keep up with Robert. He is Quick. It will be different with out the gun show next store. But you always find things. Bring money. And do not pass on a item,Because when you come back,It will be gone,Un less it's over priced.

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Ham-n-Cheese on sourdough......

We pick them up at your table?....Is that where the line starts?

I started at Show #1 in downtown Louisville and it has done nothing but improve. The Largest ...best attended Military Collectibles venue anywhere.Successful business practices work at any location, if you are overpriced and unrealistic in values, you will be disappointed and poorer than you started.Year after Year...the SOS tops the list as my most profitable show...purchasing and selling.

The SOS has been compared to the "Burning Man Festival " in significance ,loyalty, like-minded souls.

I have been told by a good source that Jeff intends to ignite this fur coat at 4pm Saturday afternoon (East Wing Parking Lot) to celebrate the close of show, sorry...no tye-dye allowed at the ending ceremony.

FB_IMG_1452274733352.jpg

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

donation2017.gif

We pick them up at your table?....Is that where the line starts?

I swore off the pork sandwich. ..mine went in the trash last year...Raw...

donation2017.gif

For me the SOS is also a "sure thing". Every year I go I come with at least one "centerpiece" group for my collection. I can't say that has been possible at any other show. A show this size becomes a level playing field because no one person can dominate it and buy up everything.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

One thing I've started to look forward to in my very short tenure of SoS shows is adding reference books to my library. Lance, I think is his name, always has something I can add. I'll even buy a book I find interesting even if I don't collect it or is outside my focus, such as German uniforms or DUIs, early in the show to read while I'm behind the tables.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

Still waiting for my table permission... Anyone knows the due date of that?

I was on the standby list and got called about two weeks ago asking if I wanted a table, so I know they're trying to fill the unsold tables in. If you don't get a call, it might be because they're already all gone. :(

I won't have a table as I can't hang out till Saturday afternoon, but I'll be back and forth between Bobby R's and unclegrumpy's. I'll have some decent groups and single medals I'd like to part with, and plan on pricing them to move.

I think the benefit of the SOS is that it's the only show I religiously go to each year - and I know that's the same for many other people. I have absolutely nothing against any local show, and I do hit Bob's show as often as I can (I'm getting better at it!) but it always seems that with another book in progress, work, a wife and four kids, and a small farm, something comes up that pulls me away from going. However, with the SOS, I make my reservations as far as I can in advance, give my boss notice that I'll be on vacation, and make solid plans to be there - and it almost always works out (my company has this fondness of doing their annual manager's meeting the same week...I think HR has a link to the OVMS website and plans it that way!) It was much easier attending when I was stationed on the East Coast and could drive to the show, but you do what you can do, and so long as I can feasibly make it, I'll be there! Hopefully next year I won't have to get back for the annual meeting (like this year) and I can do a table...keeping my fingers crossed!

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

One thing I've started to look forward to in my very short tenure of SoS shows is adding reference books to my library. Lance, I think is his name, always has something I can add. I'll even buy a book I find interesting even if I don't collect it, such as German uniforms, etc, early in the show to read while I'm behind the tables.

I'm only going to have eight copies of mine there...so hit me up early Thursday! You'll have plenty to read! :):D

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

....... A show this size becomes a level playing field because no one person can dominate it and buy up everything.

Kurt

So true.......this makes it interesting.

The only thing that makes medal buying tough at SOS is trying to do research on your smartphone and not at your desk. I passed on a 1st Cav VN PH because I didn't feel comfortable about the grouping. The soldier didn't earn a bronze star(based on included NARA records) and all the other medals in the group were added at some point(newer cheap versions). But the PH engraving was good. I should have just bought it for the PH. Screwed that one up.

I understand the SOS is the Mecca of Militaria and a travel quest for most who look forward to it all year.

I see some great items being posted that are going but I dont understand why not offer it for sale here on the forum?

I see this locally as well that items are not offered as they feel the need to take them several hundred miles with the hope of selling but have expenses that can add up as well when in reality much would sell here anyway.I understand there is a captive audiance at the show and a huge collector attendance to buy-sell-and trade with....But here and at a few shows I go to I see guys buying to stock pile for the show just to hang onto it for 6-8 months or longer when they could sell it and have cash in hand.

Case in point I know a guy who found a mint WW2 camo jungle pack at a show I was at.He paid $8 for it.He almost wore the color off it dragging it around and showing everyone his wind fall.He asked me to verify it was real.I said it certainly was.I asked what he wanted for it.He said "this will go to the SOS" as "no one" will buy it here.I said I guess "Im no one" and whats your price? He dragged the thing around for another two days and finally came back and asked if I was "serious".I said I was and why hang on to it for 6 months? when you have a willing buyer and your already here.He replied that I knew what he gave for it and I said thats not the point.He wanted to know what I was going to do with it. :rolleyes:

I said its an up grade to the one I have.I will sell or trade mine and put this one in my collection.He threw out his price and I agreed.I think he was surprised I agreed to the price but he came to realize cash now instead of 6 months down the road looked better.He still had a ton of stuff to take to the SOS.In his defense he doesnt do the internet and just sells and buys at shows and privately.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..