WW1 Nurse Leta Edwards, Base Hospital 10, AEF

trenchbuff

I Seem to have some free time today so I'll add one more WW1 nurse item from my collection. I got this uniform a few years back from a fellow WW1 collector and forum member and it's become one of my favorites. With the exception of the straw hat which belonged to another WW1 nurse, this uniform was worn by nurse Leta M. Edwards who spent at least 6 months overseas at Base Hospital 10. I was told she was from the Philadelphia area but haven't been able to find much more about her. The uniform came with her original dog tags including the standard round tag and an earlier square tag. The jacket has bronze eagle buttons instead of the plain plastic buttons. This was something directed by the Army Nurse Corps in the later part of 1918. As an added surprise I found her National Red Cross Nurse pin along with a Victory Medal ribbon with one bronze star her pocket. This isn't surprising since a lot of nurses originally served with the Red Cross and were recruited by the Army. I greatly admire the women who served and still serve in our military and it's an honor to be caretaker of this uniform.

post-944-0-33130000-1454533294.jpg

post-944-0-25858400-1454533311.jpg

Close-up of her American National Red Cross Nurse Pin. This one has an early serial number and is maker marked BB&B which was a Philadelphia jeweler. I have to imagine that someplace in the Red Cross archives there has to exist the list of who was issued which badge by serial number. I've never had a chance to pursue it.

post-944-0-94213900-1454533942.jpg

post-944-0-96776700-1454533949.jpg

A Philadelphia connection would make sense, since the personnel for Base Hospital 10 were largely drawn from hospitals in the city.

The full unit history can be found here:

https://archive.org/details/historyofpennsyl00unit

Ms. Edwards appears within a number of times.

That is really an amazing reference! Appreciate you posting the link.