WW1 Nurse Portrait

trenchbuff

Wanted to share one of my favorite WW1 studio photos. This unidentified nurse served in France at least one year with Base Hospital 53 which was located at Langres-Haute-Marne. It was taken at a Decatur, Illinois photo studio most likely shortly after her return home. I think details of the uniform are pretty exceptional, and I'd just love to have her name. Still enjoy it anyway and have had it in my collection for a long time.

post-944-0-76452000-1454519219.jpg

Great picture! I zoomed in on the insignia which is beautiful.

Can you tell what ribbons she has on her uniform? It looks like two. If so, one would be the WWI ribbon but not sure about the other.

Do you know what patches are on her uniform?

...Kat

WOW. That is a top-shelf, first-rate photograph. Is that some sort of City or Province crest below the Advanced Sector patch?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to scan and share. GREAT image!

john

Great picture! I zoomed in on the insignia which is beautiful.

Can you tell what ribbons she has on her uniform? It looks like two. If so, one would be the WWI ribbon but not sure about the other.

Do you know what patches are on her uniform?

...Kat

Hi Kat! Although its hard to tell for sure, I believe the ribbon is for the WW1 Victory Medal and I can see a star device on it. Most likely she was entitled to the "France" bar. Just one ribbon that I can see when I use my loop. The top patch is the Advance Service, Sector of Supply and the bottom patch is for Base Hospital 53. A lot of the WW1 hospital patches were the coat of arms for the town in which the hospital was located. Boy oh boy would I love to own that uniform! Glad you like the photo.

WOW. That is a top-shelf, first-rate photograph. Is that some sort of City or Province crest below the Advanced Sector patch?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to scan and share. GREAT image!

john

Hey John!

The patch is for Base Hospital 53. As I mentioned to Kat, a lot of the hospital patches were the coat or arms of the city or town in which the hospital was located.

Hope you can make an excuse to attend the Pomona show this year!

The only nurse on the roster from Decatur is:

Leas, Helen Jeanette 760 South Webster St., Decatur, Ill.

Thanks! That's great info, especially if I can track down a roster for Base Hospital 53 and cross reference it.

The only nurse on the roster from Decatur is:

Leas, Helen Jeanette 760 South Webster St., Decatur, Ill.

AEF, Just found the roster for BH 53 and she is on it! Looks like the photo is Nurse Helen Jeanette Leas. Great help. Thank you very much!

AEF, Just found the roster for BH 53 and she is on it! Looks like the photo is Nurse Helen Jeanette Leas. Great help. Thank you very much!

Wow. That is crazy-good research!

If I have the right person off Ancestry and Find A Grave:

Born: 3 Dec 1890 Keokuk, Iowa; Died: 24 Oct 1955 Los Angeles Parents: Charles and Cora Leas Listed as Nurse in Army of Occupation

Husband: Edgar Harvey Hollsberg died 2 days earlier: 22 Oct 1955 !

If I have the right person off Ancestry and Find A Grave:

Born: 3 Dec 1890 Keokuk, Iowa; Died: 24 Oct 1955 Los Angeles Parents: Charles and Cora Leas Listed as Nurse in Army of Occupation

Husband: Edgar Harvey Hollsberg died 2 days earlier: 22 Oct 1955 !

Thanks! Sounds like her.