WRECKED Militaria - Post your "tragic" pictures!

MWalsh

I came across this little gem today and had to share. Well, there actually were TWO of them.

I imagine it went something like this.... "Let's see.... HONEY. We have not one, but TWO helmet liners. Yeah, I am not sure what to do with them either. Hey, let's us REPURPOSE them! Run to the hardware store and get some supplies and hurry back."

'Cause everyone needs a good lamp, right?

At least it wasn't a darn Hawley.

post-440-0-92194000-1463271544.jpeg

That's actually pretty awesome...looks older done, a period conversion wouldn't have made anyone think twice. I mean, I modify my stuff all the time...some day a collector might cringe and flinch and wail that history is ruined, but for now it gets the job done

Saw those as well....wanted to take them out and put them out of their misery being surrounded by plastic flowers and white distressed chippy painty stuff..

• 4 years later...
McDermut99
On 2/3/2016 at 9:12 PM, MWalsh said:

Wow. House fire?

Worse actually. I spent some time in an abandoned house being cleared out and the previous owner was a SF training officer during the Vietnam era. I was able to salvage almost all of the papers, documents, and some uniform pieces but as I was walking outside they had a bonfire burning trash and this was smoldering on the edge of the pile. I was frustrated to say the least as it was probably in petty good condition before being tossed in, but there wasn't any point in saying anything. The guy in charge of the burn pile was not the sharpest tool put simply and who knows what else he burned thinking it was "trash". 

huntssurplus

I got a uniform with some caps that the daughter of the vet had taken a pair of scissors and cut out every single area of fabric where the vet had written his name. She missed the laundry numbers though, and I was able to find his initials in another area she missed and thus was able to identify the vet. But still! 

Hunt

The Rooster

It was at one time a real nice ww2 schlueter. I bought it and didnt examine the pics carefully and failed to read the accurate description. lol

And I got this squished egg shaped ruined pot !!! lol The paint didnt bother me.. I was thinking I'd strip it down and have a nice ww2 shell and korean liner.

But Its squashed. Its an egg and believe me......Its tough,  It wont unsquash back to normal without the use of tools that I dont have.

Lived and learned from it. I keep it as a reminder to pay attention and slow down.

71.jpg.f4bd6dc85ca3182dc3d2f8520972ce8e.jpg

72.jpg

67.jpg

65.jpg

70.jpg

73.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
MinorInHistory

When I was at “Animal Kingdom” in Disneyworld, I saw some crimes against militaria that shocked me to my core. Much of it was nailed to fences as decorations for the explorer theme. Among the militaria I saw was what I think was a civil defense helmet and a WWII British canteen, as well as a 1942 dated ammo crate. I think I took more photos of the ruined gear than of the animals! 

DC3A30D8-F5B1-4013-80BE-BFDCA3B2DDB6.jpeg

B63DB2E5-2BC2-4AB3-B86D-0BC51EDACF91.jpeg

6345E0BC-981C-45BF-88F0-B0AF1D88FA6C.jpeg

76E3E795-0880-43B9-B94A-31B75416EA44.jpeg

3 hours ago, MinorInHistory said:

When I was at “Animal Kingdom” in Disneyworld, I saw some crimes against militaria that shocked me to my core. Much of it was nailed to fences as decorations for the explorer theme. Among the militaria I saw was what I think was a civil defense helmet and a WWII British canteen, as well as a 1942 dated ammo crate. I think I took more photos of the ruined gear than of the animals! 

DC3A30D8-F5B1-4013-80BE-BFDCA3B2DDB6.jpeg

B63DB2E5-2BC2-4AB3-B86D-0BC51EDACF91.jpeg

6345E0BC-981C-45BF-88F0-B0AF1D88FA6C.jpeg

76E3E795-0880-43B9-B94A-31B75416EA44.jpeg

Funny you should talk about Animal Kingdom - In 2000 I was a Junior Construction Project Manager doing post opening projects at DAK - One of mine was the conversion of a 1968 US Army Water Trailer to a Themed Drinking Fountain at the Entrance to the Safari Ride - The Props were bought by "Artists" from Walt Disney Imagineering - A lot of it came from California - In those days Field Gear could be bought pretty cheaply but I thought that it was overdone with props - Memories!!

Bill

MinorInHistory

That’s a pretty cool project, not going to lie. I think I saw the canteen in a gift shop and the ammo crate behind some robot thing in the Avatar-themed part of the park. At first I thought the helmet was a Brodie but I guess it was Civil Defense. It was fun to be on a scavenger hunt for militaria while also experiencing Disney. 

Its funny my girlfriend worked at Disney last year and when I went to visit I spotted this desk for field headquarters being used to display pajamas at Disney Springs. Luckily it looks like it hasn't been bolted down but I don't feel optimistic about its future. It is interesting that it is marked 1st FLT PLT, could that mean 1st Fleet Platoon? Doesn't make much sense but that's the best I could think of.  

desk1.png

desk2.png

desk3.png

• 2 weeks later...
MinorInHistory

Well, sad to say I’ve found a lamp. That’s all I’m going to say. 

MinorInHistory 

D80BD573-FBAE-4B73-81EE-02163EF9C264.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
MinorInHistory

Here’s another lamp. I know this one is not US militaria, but I think it qualifies into this topic. I also don’t know if it’s an original, but I’m thinking it is. I almost want to buy it to see if I can save the rifle. 

MinorInHistory 

DE6A1EEC-689B-4178-A9A9-E6D22FF4164A.png

• 3 weeks later...

I spotted a really beat up US Camillus marked combat knife at a gun show 15-20 years ago.  The tip was broken off, the edge was worn down and nicked up, just an ugly mess.  But it had that Charlie Brown Christmas tree appeal and was only 2 bucks.  I HAD to bring it home.  No use as a collectible, I reshaped the blade a bit and have been using it as an odds and ends tool.  Until it vanished about 8 or 9 months ago.  Nowhere to be found.  Until last night.  It hasn't had a very happy vacation.   Poor thing looks even worse than when I bought it.   Nice to have it back, it has come in handy on many occasions.  Just needs a little TLC and it will be as good as new.  

Camillus Knife.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Special forces patch in the center must have been washed or something. I picked it up so long ago (about 1970 or so), I can't recall the details. the two SF patches on either side are from the early 1970s

Special Forces.jpg

I got this when I bought a collection in the mid-1980s. It was/is a cap of the 14th Brooklyn / 14th NYSM / 14th NYNG pattern. Probably post war.

102_0680.JPG

On 12/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, Maxrobot said:

I got this when I bought a collection in the mid-1980s. It was/is a cap of the 14th Brooklyn / 14th NYSM / 14th NYNG pattern. Probably post war.

102_0680.JPG

Just  needs some duct tape and it'll be good as new.