1930's Seversky P-35 photo - Fort Riley, Kansas

MWalsh

I came across this original old snapshot photo recently and thought it was worthy of posting since it is a somewhat obscure aircraft.

I believe it to be a Seversky P-35 fighter. Its an original photo, not a reprint, not a press picture. The back has hand written "Pursuit plane at Fort Riley, Kans", and the studio who developed it has their stamp on the back too, it was in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and is date stamped November 1938. LaCrosse is quite close to Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, so I suspect some Wisconsin National Guard member from there was likely the photographer.

Wiki notes that only about 75 were ever accepted into Air Corps service, the last being built and fielded in mid or fall 1938. They did not last long in active service.

If anyone knows unit info and can confirm that its a P-35, feel free to post.

post-440-0-57232300-1454459347.jpg

Here is a photo of an aircraft with what I believe are similar markings.

At first I was having problems because the ones I was finding with that triangular unit marking were identified as "17th Pursuit Squadron" in the Philippines. The problem was their tail markings were "17 AMP".

This one, with the PA marking is identified as being from 1st Pursuit Group.

http://www.goinwith.com/slideshows/view?query=Seversky

P-35 1st Pursuit.jpg

I had not noticed the lower part of that triangle before. Thanks!

So 1st Pursuit Squadron then it appears.

Given the date these aircraft were accepted into service and the date this picture was developed, I kind of wonder now if it wasn't taken when the P-35's were moving about the country perhaps doing demo flights or something?