Blue enamel canteen and cup Sold for $1,067.98?

USMC-RECON0321

I have no involvement in this what so ever. I can show you my eBay if proof is needed. I will not release his name to the public for his privacy. I will talk to him and see what he has to see.

USMC-RECON0321

I have no involvement in this what so ever. I can show you my eBay if proof is needed. I will not release his name to the public for his privacy. I will talk to him and see what he has to see.

I'm sure he's happy his name is staying private so he can stay off our radar when we are unknowingly bidding on his future eBay auctions.

Great detective work usmcrecon!

I saw those auctions as well.

David D: this guy may be your 'friend' but he is no friend of collectors here, we can sure see his true colors. Actually its very pathetic he split up that nice set and is trying to scam genuine usmc collectors for a couple bucks with shill bids. A common ebay trend now.

I have bought nice stuff from the original seller at fair prices, he is a good guy and its sad people are taking advantage of his auctions.

SCAM ALERT!!!

Okay, I just figured out what is going on here. If you look at the original auction of this set (USMC Cover, blue canteen and porcelain cup) sold by a legit seller blonde581 and click on the bidders you will see the winning bidder was a***ms.gif with a feedback score of 167.

Then go to the auctions of the 3 items being discussed in this thread won by a***ms.gif167, but now all being sold by a new seller with zero feedback hemisuperbird (0 ) and click on the bidder list of each sold item and you will see that a***ms.gif167, was the winning bidder of the cup and canteen and 2nd high bidder on the cover at $305??

You will also notice, once the prices got above what you normally see them sell for there are mainly only two bidders continuing to bid up all 3 items, a***ms.gif167 and f***4 2178. So I have no doubt eBay member a***ms.gif167 and hemisuperbird (0 ) are one in the same and I'm 99% sure whoever f***4 2178 is, is another shill bidder to help get those crazy prices up there and accidentally won the cover.

So these two actually shill bid up and won all three items? Was this just to raise prices on these so when others see these show up for sale again or maybe at a show? (SOS?) they can hopefully get more money out of them from possible buyers who didn't connect the dots?

The cover we didn't even discuss yet in this thread, but when I looked it up after it was pointed out this was a set sold just in Dec and split up and sold individually and seeing the high prices I wondered what the basic "fair condition" USMC cross flap canteen cover sold for and when it showed $305.00, I knew something was up with all this and that's when I started looking at connecting the dots of this scam!

Link to the original auction showing a***ms.gif167 as the winning bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141840502478&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Canteen cup bidder list showing a***ms.gif167 as the winning bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=182003953137&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Canteen bidder list showing a***ms.gif167 as the winning bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=182003946060&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Canteen Cover bidder list showing f***4 2178 as the winning bidder and a***ms.gif167 and 2nd high bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=182003983162&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Daang that's some NCIS work right there.

post-161948-0-58740600-1454905103.png

I'm sure he's happy his name is staying private so he can stay off our radar when we are unknowingly bidding on his future eBay auctions.

I'm not entirely sure this snide comment is fair. The forum member has clearly stated he had nothing to do with this auction's outcome, and honestly, you are in no place to second-guess that. Besides, saying things that may be defamatory towards another party in a public online forum can invite legal action for slander. Is it really worth the headache of a slander accusation just to make sure some forum members can put this guy on their "don't buy from" lists?

Second, I wouldn't call this a "scam" other than possibly being a case of shill bidding (which happens even in REAL auctions outside of eBay). Even then, it looks like a poorly executed case of shill bidding, in that the seller (and his suspected aids) won ALL of the listings. I would imagine it takes a special kind of scam artist to be successful by scamming themselves. Any "impact" this may have on the market price for similar items will be very short lived. If you are a prospective buyer, yeah, you might (big emphasis on "might") have to deal with some inflated prices in the short term. This should quickly correct itself. If you are a prospective seller, congratulations, right now you may be able to move something quickly at a more "normal" price, or chance it and throw it out there and hope it goes big at auction.

Third, even WITHOUT the bids from the two eBay bidders provided, the set would have still gone for $800+. Which would have STILL been a good return on investment. So, that STILL could be a good sign for the market prices on these things. Granted, there could have been other shills involved, but nonetheless, it would likely have gone for a fair bit over the original $285 investment.

David D: this guy may be your 'friend' but he is no friend of collectors here, we can sure see his true colors. Actually its very pathetic he split up that nice set and is trying to scam genuine usmc collectors for a couple bucks with shill bids. A common ebay trend now.

Meh. I wouldn't exactly call splitting up the canteen set "pathetic" (the shill bidding DOES get a big thumbs down). I'm sure LOTS of dealers would split up a similar set. Do you really mean to tell me that if a major dealer got a set like this in a large grouping, that they WOULDN'T do something similar. Very naive to think so. It's hard to stay in business when you routinely pass up hundreds of dollars just to keep an old canteen set together a little longer. What do you think a dealer would do with a desirable patch sewn onto an otherwise unremarkable patch blanket?

Just think about it. This set sold in an OPEN AUCTION for $285 in December. That is a "fair market value". Granted, it was a horrible listing that did NOT show the true colors of the canteen/cup, and was listed in quite possibly the WORST month for selling vintage collectibles.

Anyway, just hoping to balance this thread with a little bit of a reality check. I will say that it DOES look like the high bidder for these three auctions was the same eBay member that originally bought the set in September. So, definitely something odd going on, especially seeing how he may have left feedback for himself. Weird.

USMC-RECON0321

Keep in mind, David D just says he knows who the seller is but I'm not pointing him (David D) out as any involvement in this or even being friends with the guy. I don't know. Just asking who he is since he said he knows him and the profit he made.

I'm not entirely sure this snide comment is fair. The forum member has clearly stated he had nothing to do with this auction's outcome, and honestly, you are in no place to second-guess that. Besides, saying things that may be defamatory towards another party in a public online forum can invite legal action for slander. Is it really worth the headache of a slander accusation just to make sure some forum members can put this guy on their "don't buy from" lists?

Longbranch,

First of all, I clearly stated David D. had no involvement in a previous post if you take the time to read all of them and

2nd, as I said before, I'm pretty sure the seller/buyer scammer is very happy his name is being kept private.

Sorry but those are just the facts. Far from Slander.

But I have to say your comment amuses me.

Troy

Troy,

Just to clarify my points:

Your "I'm sure he's happy" comment was what I was mainly referring to. Just seems like you are mocking David H's post, but now I see you were likely just being very literal.

Should have been more clear about my "slander" comment. Mostly I was saying that David H's reluctancy to give out the sellers name is totally understandable. Simply not worth the potential headache for David H.

I feel the rest of my comments are still valid.

Sparty On, I never said it wasn't.

The bidding history just seems weird for an attempt at shill bidding. No attempts to creep up to the high bidder's max with tiny, incremental bids. Just big huge bids that were sometimes $100 or more than the next largest bid. Plus, competing with someone that may have also been a shill bidder, even when both were already the highest bidders?

Gotta say, if this was an attempt at an outright scam, it was amusingly ineffective.