Blue enamel canteen and cup Sold for $1,067.98?

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Thoughts? Is this a good thing or bad for collectors?

I know these are very nice condition and the "Blue" version is much harder to find than the "Black", but I never would've guessed $692.99 for the cup and $374.99 for the canteen. Not to mention, both auctions by the same seller who is new to eBay and with "0" feedback.

These kinds of prices will definitely get the attention of the fakers out there! WOW. Most likely two bidders who both put in a crazy high bid to ensure they win and jacked the price up well above what they really wanted to pay would be my guess.

I think the most I've seen nice cups sell for in the past on eBay was around $400, but on the rare occasion when these cups show up at the shows, the average price is usually around $250 to $300 tops. I sold a beautiful one at the SOS last year for $275 and it sat on my table for 2 days before it was bought. Looking over the entire show I didn't see another one for sale either? I have one set left for display only, but at these kind of prices it's tempting. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-Blue-Enameled-Porcelain-Canteen-Cup-EXTREMELY-RARE-Original-1942-USMC-/182003953137?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=hVzjlhTxqolJFh14X3fFPpsUC7U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-33000-0-86259200-1454454682.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-Blue-Enameled-Porcelain-Canteen-VERY-RARE-Scarce-ORIGINAL-/182003946060?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=hVzjlhTxqolJFh14X3fFPpsUC7U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-33000-0-18780300-1454454698.jpg

Raidercollector

That is Shocking, So high priced. I was watching them too. and all so the marine type 3 cover sold for over $ 300.00. I sold my blue set about 4 years ago on ebay and I got $ 450.00 for the set. I wish I had kept it till now. I'm sure they will bring some high prices. Watch how many will show up on ebay after they see this one that sold.

Nick

$375 for the canteen? It sure looks nice, but I paid $25 for my blue enamel canteen 3-4 years ago and wasn't even sure I wanted to spend that without a plain cup and cover included.

And the enamel cup for almost $700? I've not seen many, but the few I've seen were in the $300 range.

USMC-RECON0321

I knew the canteen was going to sell for a better price because it is a true "Blue" canteen and not the usual "Black" canteen that people call Blue. But I didn't expect it to hit the $375 range. But then again, I've never seen the "Blue" canteen go to auction before. Yes many "Black" ones and they usually top out at $50 +/-

For example of the Blue and black enamels side by side so everyone knows what I'm trying to explain, here is a picture of my "Blue" canteen inside my "Black" canteen cup and next to a "Black" canteen.

See bottom row.

post-33000-0-33090200-1454462175.jpg

Close up

post-33000-0-57394200-1454462235.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

I'm pretty sure that's not the same set that just sold. But a nice one none the less.

Troy

I'm pretty sure that's not the same set that just sold. But a nice one none the less.

Troy

It is 100% the same set no doubt. Look at features. I can make comparison photos.

USMC-RECON0321

It is 100% the same set no doubt. Look at features. I can make comparison photos.

I stand corrected. Looking over both auctions again, it is definitely the same set when you match up the chips in the enamel. The pictures threw me off with the poor lighting in the first auction compared to the 2nd. Making it look like the Black porcelain set.

The winner of the first auction had a feedback score of 167 and the "new seller" of the separated pieces has a new acct and feedback score of 0. Not sure why he felt the need to disguise who he is??

Anyway, this is a prime example of how better lighting and pictures can make a difference in the ending prices and also shows why some do much better breaking up sets or groupings to get higher prices. The first auction was just in December of 2015 and was properly titled and described and ran the entire auction, so it wasn't a buy it now or poorly described item in a wrong category. Although I do find prices are down in December, most likely to Christmas expenses.

Troy

I have three enamel cups and 1/2 a dozen enamel canteens, I'm going to have to start digging around and see if I can find blue gold. Blue not black seems to be the rule.

USMC-RECON0321

I have three enamel cups and 1/2 a dozen enamel canteens, I'm going to have to start digging around and see if I can find blue gold. Blue not black seems to be the rule.

Oddly enough the blue one I own (pictured above), I found at a local modern gun show about 5 years ago (not military or antique arms type show you would expect) on a table for $15 and have not found another one for sale since. They are very hard to come by.

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

SCAM ALERT!!!

Okay, I just figured out what is going on here. If you look at the original auction of this set (USMC Cover, blue canteen and porcelain cup) sold by a legit seller blonde581 and click on the bidders you will see the winning bidder was a***ms.gif with a feedback score of 167.

Then go to the auctions of the 3 items being discussed in this thread won by a***ms.gif167, but now all being sold by a new seller with zero feedback hemisuperbird (0 ) and click on the bidder list of each sold item and you will see that a***ms.gif167, was the winning bidder of the cup and canteen and 2nd high bidder on the cover at $305??

You will also notice, once the prices got above what you normally see them sell for there are mainly only two bidders continuing to bid up all 3 items, a***ms.gif167 and f***4 2178. So I have no doubt eBay member a***ms.gif167 and hemisuperbird (0 ) are one in the same and I'm 99% sure whoever f***4 2178 is, is another shill bidder to help get those crazy prices up there and accidentally won the cover.

So these two actually shill bid up and won all three items? Was this just to raise prices on these so when others see these show up for sale again or maybe at a show? (SOS?) they can hopefully get more money out of them from possible buyers who didn't connect the dots?

The cover we didn't even discuss yet in this thread, but when I looked it up after it was pointed out this was a set sold just in Dec and split up and sold individually and seeing the high prices I wondered what the basic "fair condition" USMC cross flap canteen cover sold for and when it showed $305.00, I knew something was up with all this and that's when I started looking at connecting the dots of this scam!

Link to the original auction showing a***ms.gif167 as the winning bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141840502478&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Canteen cup bidder list showing a***ms.gif167 as the winning bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=182003953137&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Canteen bidder list showing a***ms.gif167 as the winning bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=182003946060&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Canteen Cover bidder list showing f***4 2178 as the winning bidder and a***ms.gif167 and 2nd high bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=182003983162&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Nice detective work USMC

Anyone who wants to sell a blue cup for $275 please contact me! I'm not sure what the price should be but all I can say is it's been awhile since I've seen either cup or canteen for sale. Easy to say what a price should be when you own a few, different when you don't. Just an observation.

Appreciate the discussion!

Best

Bill K

Hell yeah, well done Troy!

I was stupefied at the price of that cup, and feel a lot better now.

I suppose both of the items won by a***ms.gif167 will show up again now that he won them. He got a little greedy.

USMC-RECON0321

I know the seller. He originally bought it for $285 a few weeks ago. Quite a profit. That's for sure

David D. Do you mind telling us who this oustandind collector / Dealer is since you said you know him and who just screwed up the whole market on these canteens, cups and covers? Fakers now have them on their radar, Dealers will be expecting $700 for the cups $400 for the canteens and $300 for a standard Marine Corps cross flap canteen cover.

Is he a forum member? Just curious who does this stuff.

Troy.

USMC-RECON0321

Keep in mind, David D just says he knows who the seller is but I'm not pointing him (David D) out as any involvement in this or even being friends with the guy. I don't know. Just asking who he is since he said he knows him and the profit he made.

Great job Troy. When I saw these I expected the canteen to sell maybe +=250 and the cup without flaws in the +-350 range ... As a group when sold they seem to be in the range of the pea green, eagle snap , flat top canteen region... 550-750 range depending on what show or auction you are at. Then again because they are not common for price comparisons sometimes you will find them for practically nothing because sellers have nothing to compare them too.