First Navy Jack Patch ID Help

ADAM.12TN

I got this patch a few years ago in a trade and I was wondering if anybody can tell who the maker is and the era in which it was made?

IMG_2871.jpgIMG_2872.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Adam,

Not sure of the age or origin of that patch, but it is the first US Navy Jack flown in port from the Jack staff on the bow of USN ships. We started flying this one again in 1975-1976 to commemorate the 200th Bicentennial of the Navy, and then the 1976 USA Bicentennial. That's when I first saw these patches being worn on cruise jackets. The Jack has been revived again since 9/11 and is currently being flown again on USN vessels.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the patch/flag was being used prior to the 1975 Bicentennial? This patch seems to show some age to it and not made like newer ones I have seen.

As some one who was in the Navy during the Bi-Centimial, I can say that most people had no idea what that flag was before then. We had no idea when told to fly it aboard ship. So, I seriously doubt it dates before 1975.

Salvage Sailor

By the Navy, not that I'm aware of. It's always been a popular revolutionary war flag and may be a civilian patch.

It has a vague Philippine feel to it, or a WESTPAC sort of feeling I get from it. I'd say a PI/Asian bicentennial era patch.