Air Force patches, insignia, wings & emblems > Links to:

Bluehawk

gwb123 provided this sure to be good book about USAF in Vietnam, and following the link below are his words about the significance of the reference.

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Force-...475&sr=1-18

"This is an official USAF history publication, and there are a couple different printings available. Mine is from 1977, but it also looks like it was redone in 1985. If you look at the photos closely, there is a lot of detail in them. The text is mostly drawn from official histories, and is a bit dry. But for the price, it has a nice selection of photos, and includes photos of people and not just aircraft. Too many Vietnam histories either gloss over the USAF or just show you endless photos of aircraft."

Yet another gwb123 discovery for our list!

"Another favorite is:

Air Force Combat Wings, 1947-1977

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Force-...475&sr=1-18

I was struggling finding organizational information on the post WWII USAF, and what do you know... here it was!

My mistake was focusing on squadron histories, which can be totally maddening to try to follow when you are trying to get the "big picture" of what was going on. What I failed to realize was that while all of the "action" was at the squadron level, the Wings are the basic operational unit of the USAF. Squadrons are added or subtracted due to the mission. As a vet, you probably have this etched on your soul, but it was a revelation to me.

There is a companion volume on WWII Wings, but it has been criticized as many of the insignia shown in the book are actually post WWII designs."