Vanguard and Silverman Brothers aircrew wings

5thwingmarty

Seeing posts about the evolution of the marks on Meyer wings and a post about a Vanguard wing prompted me to post this. I'm not even sure when or where I picked up the first of these wings, but seeing the variations on how the same wings were marked on their reverses prompted me to add as many more as I spotted. I believe the oldest wing is the one on the bottom of the group shown with their fronts, and on the top if their reverses. It has short posts and a very tiny Sterling mark but no makers mark. Next is one with long posts but no marks at all as to maker or being Sterling. In the middle is one with the small block letter Vanguard NY and 1V marks, but no Sterling mark. Number four has the fancier Vanguard 1V with an eagle mark, but no Sterling mark. Last is one with a large Sterling mark and the 2S mark for the Silverman Brothers. I have also seen but not been able to afford an aircrew wing made from the same die with the Charles Polk hallmark. The wings look very similar to those from other makers like Balfour, but can be most easily distinguished by the olive branch.

Sorry the order of wings was reversed in the two photos.

post-96854-0-81079600-1454302440.jpg

post-96854-0-70628400-1454302447.jpg