Mattel-made M16 magazines during Vietnam?

Capt.Confederacy

cannon jockey
On 8/9/2021 at 10:53 AM, Charlie Flick said:

Gentlemen:

An organization that has an interest in answering this long-running question is going to have a speaker address it.  The National Rifle Association will conduct its Annual Meeting in September 2021 in Houston.  One of the many featured events is an address to be given on September 5 by military historian and author Martin K. A. Morgan entitled "The Mattel M16A1: A Frontier Between Truth & Mythology" . 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am reminded that it is always more difficult to prove a negative than a positive.  That seems to be the case here.  Perhaps the upcoming presentation by Mr. Morgan will provide the final word on the persistent question of Mattel involvement or the lack thereof. 

Regards,

Charlie

Well, that should put a nice end to the discussion.    I'm reminded of the old joke I use quite often

"As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two!"😈

Cheers

On 8/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, dustin said:

This debate reminds of the Mandela Effect;  The Mandela effect is a phenomenon in which a person or a group of people have false or distorted memories. Some believe that the Mandela effect is proof of alternate realities, while others blame it on the fallibility of human memory.

It is quite extraordinary and one can take quizzes online to test your memory. It is funny because in some cases I could swear something is one way but in reality it is not. As example, many people believe or pronounce the peanut butter brand Jiffy, but it is actually Jiff. Those that use Jiffy would had bet money on it. The list goes on and on. Google it and have some fun with it! I am willing to wager there is going to be at least one thing that you'd swear was something else as per your perception. 

It's actually Jif, not Jiff. 

• 3 weeks later...
cannon jockey
2 hours ago, m4 hst said:

did colt make most of the m16 during vietnam

I am pretty sure they did.   FNH did not start making them until the 1980s.   The loss of contracts in recent years is what contributed to Colts bankruptcies

Hydromatic (division of General Motors) made them as well. A lot Mk12 and MK mod-H DMR rifles used in afganistan/Iraq used Vietnam era hydramatuc and colt lowers.