Aircraft Voice Communication Tube?

Brian Keith

This appears to me to be a voice commination tube probably used in open cockpit aircraft. It is about six feet long and has a rubber fitting on one end (age damaged) and a “mask” with elastic band that snaps onto the tube. The mask has the initials, “EYD” stenciled on it. I suspect a flight helmet has a fitting that accepts the rubber end to an ear piece. If anyone can confirm the use and maybe the actual name of the device, I would appreciate the info.

This item was with a grouping, mostly uniforms, of LT. E. Y. Denham. A buddy did a bit of research and found a Lt. Eugene Y. Denham, USNR, he seemed to be Officer-in-charge of Instructor Training at Bunker Hill, Naval Air Station at Bunker Hill, IN. Thanks for looking, Comments welcome.

BKW

post-1549-0-77482600-1454267497.jpg

Brian,

It's a gosport communication system used in teaching aviation cadets to fly. Radios were not fitted in the basic training planes. It was a one-way system where the instructor in the rear seat spoke and the student in front listened. Unfortunately part of the system is missing on your example. Where your red rubber fitting is located, a "Y" shaped metal tube would plug in with two additional lines to attach to the ears of the special helmet worn by the cadet.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-40857900-1454271685.jpg