2nd Rangers recollection-Pointe du Hoc -6 June 1989

teufelhund

Hello Teufelhund,

That's not Ruggiero and I think the one next to Salomon is Lapres .

For me that's not Fruhling facing the caméra that's Lisko , maybe Fruhling is the one next to Lisko ?

RLTW

Hello RLTW & Johan

I agree with you, that's Lapres speaking to Salomon, I should have noticed that before.

As far as the person sitting against the concrete, it was always my understanding that it was Fruhling but since we met in 1970 or 71 , my recollection of the event might be incorrect and I probably have to change my mind and consider that's Lisko.

Regards

T

Hello again,

If you zoom ( Control mouse or control + on your keyboard) the B&W pic on the left side against the left wall next to the carbine butt , you can see what appears (to me) to be a SCR 300 or BC1000 radio seeing from the back side (look closely at the cover), .

The man facing Lisko might therefore be Fruhling who was the radioman of the Co E.

Pure computation from my part but could be correct

Have a nice Valentine

T

• 5 months later...
arnhem44mad

Hi guys sorry to bring up an old, but great topic, but did anyone ever get the chance fo ask Fruhling if it was actually an SCR 300 he had on his back on D-Day?

Thanks, Scott

Hey great thread. I always feel better after listening to a Reagan speech. What these men did was beyond brave. Had it been me, I imagine I'd have said "...can't we blast this place off the face of the earth." I suppose today we could.

Unfortunately... A Ruggioro 2D passed away last April 14, at the age of 95

He was on LCA 860 sunk close to the "pointe" but was able to make it.

William 'Knobby' Walsh 2F is still alive @ 95 as is James Fulton.

Walsh was wounded at the base of the cliff while S/SGT Leon Otto was killed on the same moment

He was evacuated on board of the USS Texas.

Teufelhund

Some info received recently from "THE" Rangers european expert

On you picture taken in 1994 in front of the CP of the Hoc , there are also : Richard Hathaway 5A , Richard Rankin 2A and Simon Loesch 5E .

The 'Boys of Pointe du Hoc' attendees => Tom Ambruster 2HQ co. - DUKW , Vic Agguzi 2E , Gerald Eberle 2HQ co , George Kerchner 2D , Stephen Liscinski 2HQ co , Jack Kuhn 2D , Ted Lapres 2E , Louis Lisko 2HQ co , Leonard Lomell 2D , Donald Mentzer / medic 2HQ co , William O'Keefe 2F , Donald Pechacek 2F , Tom Ryan 2F , Harold Slater 2D , Frank South - medic 2HQ co. , Sigur Sundby 2D , Herman Stein 2F , Kenneth Bargman 2E et Len Rubin 2D on a total of -+ 80 Rangers present in Normandy in June 1994.

• 11 months later...

HI

Here are a couple more pics to add to the fine list so far.

Both pics were shown to me by Len Lomell on a visit to his home.

post-108893-0-66796900-1499209746_thumb.jpg

post-108893-0-08452100-1499209829.jpg

Rangers 2C Cy at Fort Dix in 1943

2C landed right on Omaha Vierville sector on June 6th

They paid a high price with 21 KIA & 18 WIA

Center of the picture is Ralph Goranson who inspired the character of Capt. Miller in the movie 'SPR'

33f9dsy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

If i don't mistake, on the 1984's picture taken at LA POINTE DU HOC, the ranger seat at the lower row, second from the left would be Innes R.ROBERTSON, Co A, 2nd rangers, landed at Omaha on D'day. PH 6/6/44 and BS 6/7/44.

• 2 weeks later...

Three Ranger veterans at Pointe du Hoc. All from A Company of the 5th Battalion.

James Gabaree.

Daniel Farley.

Jack Burke.

James Gabaree and Daniel Farley were both members of the 5th Btn A company group who made it from Omaha Beach to Pointe du Hoc on D-day and they added to the number fighting at the Pointe.

James Gabaree was seriously wounded by a German machine gun on the 7th and narrowly missed being killed when his friend Paul Pavey was shot and killed in front of him. Gabaree was left near where he fell as his group could not carry him and they tucked him into a crevice very close to the spot where this photograph was taken.

Fortunately for him a US patrol spotted him and he was sent back to England via LCVP. He later rejoined the Rangers in combat in Belgium after "escaping" from hospital in England.

All three of them were in Normandy for the opening ceremony of the Maisy Battery. Burke and Farley both fought at Maisy on the 9th June. Burke was a combat medic and Farley stayed in the army and rose to the rank (I think) of Colonel some years later.

post-108893-0-81184800-1501687697_thumb.jpg