Named WWI USMC Good Conduct and Purple Heart

VMI88

I found these two medals named to the same Marine this morning. Unfortunately the enamel on the Purple Heart is damaged but otherwise it's in decent shape. I almost passed on it until I saw the name matched the Good Conduct.

post-265-0-60557900-1454192600.jpgpost-265-0-68565100-1454192623.jpg

Here's a better view of the Good Conduct Medal:

post-265-0-57615200-1454192750.jpg

From what I understand these engraved medals were issued to career Marines. There is no rim number. Unfortunately the name is so common I haven't had any luck researching him to date.

The Purple Heart is a little bit of a mystery.

post-265-0-34210800-1454192929.jpg

It's a split brooch medal with a rim number in the mid 58,000 range. According to purplehearts.net Marine Corps Purple Hearts were unnumbered and should also be engraved with rank and branch. Is this correct? If so, could this be an early World War 2 award to a son with the same name who served in the Army? Any information would be appreciated!

The Purple Heart is a 1930s contract medal awarded for WWI service. Very nice pair even with the damage,

Kurt

Yes the 1930's PH was awarded for earlier wounds and the Marine would have petitioned for the medal when they came out. Your heart is correct for that time period. Would be interesting to see where he was wounded. France 1918 perhaps or a Banana war engagement later?

It's likely James C. Wilson who was 18th Company 2nd Battalion 5th Marines WIA July 18, 1918 near Vierzy at Soissons. He suffered a gunshot wound to the foot.

It's James Clayton Wilson Born Sept. 21, 1899. Service number is 109579

Is the Second Enlistment Bar engraved on the back? I believe this guy got commissioned and served in WWII and is buried in Arlington. Nice medals.

Is the Second Enlistment Bar engraved on the back? I believe this guy got commissioned and served in WWII and is buried in Arlington. Nice medals.

Yes, it is - I missed that earlier. It repeats the medal number and includes the dates 1923-1926.

I think there's a strong possibility you're correct. The Major Wilson buried in Arlington died in Triangle, Virginia (just outside of Quantico), about 60 miles from where I purchased the medals.

I was able to pick up some more medals from the same estate, probably belonging to the same Marine. These new additions fit well with the theory that the Major Wilson mentioned above is indeed the original owner. It looks like he remained in the service through World War 2, though without serving overseas (assuming there were no campaign medals missing). There was no World War I Victory Medal, though "Aisne" and "Defensive Sector" bars from a Victory Medal have been slipped over some loose red. white, & blue ribbon.

post-265-0-40825600-1454789870.jpg

Unfortunately, these medals are of much more recent vintage. He must have acquired them later in life, or possibly his family even requested them after his death. Still, they weren't much money and I thought it would be good to keep them all together.

post-265-0-80196100-1454790364.jpg

• 6 years later...

This is an older thread, but I was going through my collection and ran across some historical documentation I was able to find with the generous help of several forum members.

Maj James C. Wilson, USMC cropped.jpg

Here's a translation as best I can figure:

• Casualty #619; Wilson, James C.
  • 18th Company:  Field Hospital #15 jd (?) from Battalion Aid Station 5th Marine Regiment.  Gunshot wound foot.
  • Field Hospital #1 7/21/18 jd (?) gunshot wound right foot.
  • Cas (?) #2 9/5/18 jd (?) from Headquarters 1st Depot Division St. Aignan
  • 10/4/18 transferred to Brest.
  • 12/26/18 USS NORTH CAROLINA arrived 1/6/19.
  • Casual Company #202

Unfortunately the casualty file is difficult to read in places, and not all the abbreviations are defined.  If anyone knows what some of the notations mean (especially "jd") please let me know!