45 ACP Submachine Gun Magazine Bulk Carrier?

I picked this up at the flea market yesterday for 1 dollar. I've never come across anything like this before and was wondering what era as I'm guessing the Korea War? It looks like you could carry magazines across your body using the sling or attached to your belt. Would this be used to carry Thompson or Grease Gun magazines?

post-1389-0-93506400-1454183699.jpg

post-1389-0-08708200-1454183717.jpg

donation2008.gif

WW2 Submachinegun magazine pouch. Work for either the Thompson or Grease gun. Worth well more than a dollar, you did well.

Always looking for WW1 28th Division; anything, papers, field gear, uniforms, etc.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Best $1 buy for the year 2016!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Hey, they called them clips!!!! Always interesting to see the few places where "clip" is officially used, since there's always the argument between clip and mag.

Pretty cool.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Then why do I keep finding references like those below everywhere?

A clip describes cartridges held together with a strip until they are loaded into a firearm.

A magazine on the other hand is is a container that holds the cartridges. Sometimes magazines themselves are loaded with cartridges by clips. On most firearms a magazine is detachable and replaceable.

and

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine or cylinder of a firearm. This speeds up the process of loading and reloading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time.

a final example

A clip is different from a magazine and the terms are by no means interchangeable. Using "clip" when one means "magazine" is akin to saying "tires" when one actually means "wheels." If it does get the speaker immediately corrected, often unkindly, in newsgroups and on Forums, then such a malaprop marks the user as a hopeless newbie.

Enquiring minds want to know what's what.......

No matter what - it is a cool bag at a great price - I surely paid more for mine.

I have always heard that these bags were introduced either late WW2 or post war. They can be used for any purpose but are sized to accommodate 30 round .45 ACP magazines either for the Thompson or the grease gun. (smaller magazines will fit also! duh...) There is an earlier bag that can hold the 20 round Thompson magazine - Tom Hanks carried one in SPR.

Dwayne

Quartermaster, I usually cringe when clip is used for anything other than a 5 or 10 rd stripper, but every now and then you see an official source, which makes me chuckle. In another post, someone cited an early 1911 manual that called the 7 round mag a clip!

If these have been discussed, this might be a moot point, but could these be a vehicle crew item that was made a while after WWII, and marked differently than one would think because of that? The grease gun was used until very recently in vehicles, so you'd expect some odd throwback items to pop up.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif