45 ACP Submachine Gun Magazine Bulk Carrier?

Tonomachi

I picked this up at the flea market yesterday for 1 dollar. I've never come across anything like this before and was wondering what era as I'm guessing the Korea War? It looks like you could carry magazines across your body using the sling or attached to your belt. Would this be used to carry Thompson or Grease Gun magazines?

post-1389-0-93506400-1454183699.jpg

post-1389-0-08708200-1454183717.jpg

Hey, they called them clips!!!! Always interesting to see the few places where "clip" is officially used, since there's always the argument between clip and mag.

Pretty cool.

Quartermaster

Then why do I keep finding references like those below everywhere?

A clip describes cartridges held together with a strip until they are loaded into a firearm.

A magazine on the other hand is is a container that holds the cartridges. Sometimes magazines themselves are loaded with cartridges by clips. On most firearms a magazine is detachable and replaceable.

and

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine or cylinder of a firearm. This speeds up the process of loading and reloading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time.

a final example

A clip is different from a magazine and the terms are by no means interchangeable. Using "clip" when one means "magazine" is akin to saying "tires" when one actually means "wheels." If it does get the speaker immediately corrected, often unkindly, in newsgroups and on Forums, then such a malaprop marks the user as a hopeless newbie.

Enquiring minds want to know what's what.......

No matter what - it is a cool bag at a great price - I surely paid more for mine.

I have always heard that these bags were introduced either late WW2 or post war. They can be used for any purpose but are sized to accommodate 30 round .45 ACP magazines either for the Thompson or the grease gun. (smaller magazines will fit also! duh...) There is an earlier bag that can hold the 20 round Thompson magazine - Tom Hanks carried one in SPR.

These bags have been discussed on here before that are 1950 -1960's vintage made in the USA and that they have the lack of the US stamp they are intended and made for foreign use.

Quartermaster, I usually cringe when clip is used for anything other than a 5 or 10 rd stripper, but every now and then you see an official source, which makes me chuckle. In another post, someone cited an early 1911 manual that called the 7 round mag a clip!

If these have been discussed, this might be a moot point, but could these be a vehicle crew item that was made a while after WWII, and marked differently than one would think because of that? The grease gun was used until very recently in vehicles, so you'd expect some odd throwback items to pop up.

There was plenty of the WWII Thompson and GP bags around during WWII used with the grease gun. This is out of Bruce Canfields book also no one has found one of these bags dated WWII?

post-7997-0-57878300-1454258818.jpg

post-7997-0-78551300-1454258857.jpg