Uniform to a Marine who served on Iwo Jima with HQ Co, 27th Marines

CHASEUSA11B

Hello everyone,

I've had this one for awhile but I finally got around to getting his service records. Ed Lem mons joined the Marines in 1942 and served in Iwo Jina with the 27th Marines and spent time in Japan

Nothing too crazy in his file other than a little AWOL time which I found interesting. Either way I'm happy to have a face to go with the uniform

post-6201-0-30250800-1454142481.jpegpost-6201-0-24969200-1454142495.jpeg

File says "participated in the assault and capture of Iwo Jima, Volcano Island as a member of the 5th Marine Division during the period 19 February 1945 to 27 March 1945.

Raidercollector

Nice uniform. It seems their were a lot of Marines that went AWOL from getting drunk. I have several my self in my collection. Young marines get board and than get drunk on their passes.

Nick

Raidercollector

Like VFG said his MOS could make it most interesting of what he did on IWO. Most of them had firearms in combat. I even have a Mail clerk that was bringing mail to the front lines under fire from the enemy,to get the marines their letters from home.

Nick

Thank you for the comments gentlemen.

I'm not sure what his Mos was. Here are some more items from his file, perhaps you can help me shed light on his service....

Thanks again,

Chase

post-6201-0-16324000-1454168637.jpeg

Raidercollector

Chase

If he was 2nd Bn,27th Marines I could help you, I would have a photo of him Since I have the roster for Iwo with Combat photos of the 2nd Bn on Iwo. I see he was with the 3rd Bn. Looks like he was trained on 30 Cal an 50 Cal.

Nick

Raidercollector

Chase

If he was 2nd Bn,27th Marines I could help you, I would have a photo of him Since I have the roster for Iwo with Combat photos of the 2nd Bn on Iwo. I see he was with the 3rd Bn. Looks like he was trained on 30 Cal an 50 Cal.

Nick

My Mistake I have photos for the First Bn, Not the 2nd Bn 27th Marines.

Nick

• 1 month later...
CHASEUSA11B

Thanks uplandmod, this is one that I got lucky on the muster rolls with.

Can anyone tell me what his MOS was on Iwo Jima or how to find it?

It looks like it says "guard" and "mortar gunner" on 16 Mar 45...