Chief Engineer's Coat, United States War Shipping Board

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I know what it is, but here's a little quiz for everyone. One of the rarest uniform/cover combinations I own. It's the Navy looking one in the center. A lot of you will most likely get it in one!

John

post-21147-0-96206800-1454123619.jpg

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Jake got it in one! I've been at this since 1958, and this is the only one I've ever found. Shame there is no name. Anybody else have one? Would like to see others. This guy was a Chief Engineer.

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Kurt,

I've never seen a picture with a officer wearing scrambled eggs, so, actually, I'm not sure. He's a chief engineer, so, I'm not totally sure it applies. This is really a little studied area of WW1. The US built a fleet of wooden transport ships, which, at the end of the war were taken to Mallows Bay, in Solomans MD and burnt. The hulks are still there, I worked on a team taking measurements, etc of the hulks. A guy by the name of Don Shomatte was supposed to be writing a book on it, don't know what happened. We did the measuring over 25 years ago. Knew this BA with a concentration in maritime history would come in handy!

John

With three full size cuff rank stripes, should his hat have "scrambled eggs"? (Not sure if it's comparable to a Cdr in the USN)

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Chris,

I haven't, might do it today. Man, I have a lot of oddball stuff! LOL

John

John,

Looks great! Have you ever shown your PHS uniform on here? Equally rare!

Chris

Kurt,

I've never seen a picture with a officer wearing scrambled eggs, so, actually, I'm not sure. He's a chief engineer, so, I'm not totally sure it applies. This is really a little studied area of WW1. The US built a fleet of wooden transport ships, which, at the end of the war were taken to Mallows Bay, in Solomans MD and burnt. The hulks are still there, I worked on a team taking measurements, etc of the hulks. A guy by the name of Don Shomatte was supposed to be writing a book on it, don't know what happened. We did the measuring over 25 years ago. Knew this BA with a concentration in maritime history would come in handy!

John

John-

I saw a SB officer's cap with scrambled eggs years ago at the Allentown Gun Show (early style like yours, red/white/blue shield). I didn't know what to make of it, so I didn't buy it ($75 - which 15-20 years ago seemed like a lot to me).

But, as you stated, I guess a period photo will need to surface to know for sure.

Kurt

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Kurt,

I think it would of been a good investment! Makes sense too that they'd of had scrambled eggs, given that other than the collar rank, and line stars on the arms they mirrored Navy uniforms. Either way, I'm glad to have the cover, scrambled eggs or not!

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Garth,

I think so! Heck, I'm getting older, and can't remember what I bought from whom! LOL Both were eBay purchases.

John