Question regarding grouping

shootar401

I recently acquired a grouping from a USAF Colonel. It contained two dress uniforms and service caps, plus some smaller items. I was wondering what the consensus is on adding ribbons and medals to his uniform to complete the uniforms since did they not come with any.

that leads me into my second question... I have a rough idea of what he was awarded, but all I have to go on is a fuzzy B&W photo. is there anyway I can request his awards from the DoD?

Jennings Lane

Anything you do for your own use is okay. But, if the grouping is for resale, as a named grouping, you should make sure that the replacement ribbons, patches and insignia are accurate and of the appropriate vintage. And, any perspective buyer should be told of any additions.

Nothing wrong with replacing ribbons etc. to accurately show what he would have worn. As stated, try to use the correct period ribbons and insignia and if you sell it down the road just disclose that to any buyer.You can request his records from NARA at St Louis. If his file is less than 62 years old you need to send along a FOI request letter with the form SF180 and containing all pertinent information as the full file is not considered releasable unless it is that old. If it is a FOI request they will still release some of it but be sure to ask specifically for info on the awards/decorations.

Geoff at Golden Arrow Research or MES, a member here on the forum can help you get the file as well.