NON-SPEC Overcoat w/ Shawl 'Mackinaw' Collar

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Thanks Kurt,

I get it now ... and yes, it would have been nice to see another example of a contract label from a Mackinaw. It would also be nice to know why there's so little information available on these garments?

• What did the Quartermaster Department / Corps call it?
  • If that particular style of Mackinaw was a copy of the 1907 Mackinaw that was made from blue wool, when was it first made in olive drab?
  • Was it available in olive drab prior to WW I?
  • If it was around before WW I, why doesn't it appear in any period photos?

Surely, there must be some information on both the early Mackinaw and the short, shawl collared overcoat somewhere?

Found this scant reference to Mackinaws being supplied to Tank Corps troops in place of regular overcoats:

Textile World, 1918, Volume 54, No. 15, October 12, 1918, page 1

“The War Department announces that a mackinaw overcoat has been adopted and will be issued to the men of the Tank Corps in place of the overcoat now used. Three blankets are now being issued to each man of our army before going overseas, instead of one as in previous orders.”

Also cited in Official U.S. Bulletin in an online index that cites October 2, 1918 issue, page 3. Same text reported.

The image of two tankers in Mackinaws came from Chuck Thomas (I WISH it was in my collection! :) )

post-949-0-48031100-1462977878.jpg

post-949-0-36044600-1462977886.jpg post-949-0-66026200-1462977894.jpg

world war I nerd

John, great information and even greater images (even if they aren't part of your collection)!

Because the Mackinaw was issued to wagon and motor truck drivers and tankers as well, it was sometimes referred to as a "Driver's Coat".

I don't recognize the triangular shoulder patch, nor can I make out its design. Is it an early Tank Corps patch? If so, what is the design and color(s)?

John, great information and even greater images (even if they aren't part of your collection)!

Because the Mackinaw was issued to wagon and motor truck drivers and tankers as well, it was sometimes referred to as a "Driver's Coat".

I don't recognize the triangular shoulder patch, nor can I make out its design. Is it an early Tank Corps patch? If so, what is the design and color(s)?

That patch has befuddled both Chuck and me. My best guess: A cut-out Wagoner patch sewn on top of a Tank Corps patch.

John

world war I nerd

After enlarging the insignia, its definitely looks like a wagon wheel and has eight spokes like the Wagoneer's specialty chevron.

What identified the two men as belonging to the Tank Corps, besides the triangular shaped background of the insignia?

I'm wondering if the insignia might be a variation for either the Motor Transport Corps or the Railway Transportation Corps?

I suppose the guy could also be a wagon driver assigned to the Tank Corps?

post-5143-0-34015600-1462984314.jpg

The 1918 Mackinaw coat in the photo below is currently for sale (not by me), I was unable to post a link but thought the photo of the tag might be useful.

post-693-0-42543100-1463095644.jpg

post-693-0-30745200-1463095741.jpg

Great snag, Dragon!

WWINerd: you are correct to dial back the identification of tank corps patch. We may hav jumped to that conclusion prematurely.

JAG

world war I nerd

Dragoon, Great addition to the thread ... thanks for posting.

It's strange how things work. Until US Victory Museum posted photos of the 1918 Mackinaw, I never even knew that garment existed. Since then, several additional images of the 1918 Mackinaw have surfaced along with two period photos depicting it being worn and its specification number!

It's just strange how you can go 20 or 25 years without ever knowing about something, and then as soon as you become aware of it, within the space of six months, all sorts of images and information about that particular article comes to light. Was it the lack of knowledge that made the article invisible in the past? Or was just a coincidence that all of the images and information just happened to turn up at approximately the same time?

Great snag, Dragon!

WWINerd: you are correct to dial back the identification of tank corps patch. We may hav jumped to that conclusion prematurely.

JAG

Well I am a bit red in the face, now! :blush:

Rogier van de Hoef sent me the following:

" I instantly recognized the photo you are discussing recently with 2 soldiers wearing Mackinaws and a mystery patch. I have this exact same image in my collection (although printed in mirror-view; see attachment), and it is identified on the back. The 2 soldiers pictured are James W. Rogers and Murd B. Siler. I think James is the guy on the right, wearing the Wagoner patch, and Murd is on the right. Both served with Field Hospital 19, 4th Sanitary Train. Both were from Tennessee, and that is about all I know about them. I'm not 100% sure about their ranks, but I'm pretty sure the patch denotes Wagoner and/or Chauffeur, simply because guys in a Field Hospital would have nothing to do with Tank Corps."

He attached a version of the photo in his collection:

post-949-0-56719100-1463191218.jpg

I am glad to know that the image wasn't showing some unusual Tank patch. Thank you, Rogier!

John

world war I nerd

So it's just a Wagoneer's PFC chevron after all.

Well done Rogier and John ... thank you both. I can't believe that nobody (myself included) noticed that the two Mackinaws in the original posting were buttoned the wrong way around!

It's still a great image of WW I Doughboys though.

world war I nerd

“The War Department announces that a mackinaw overcoat has been adopted and will be issued to the men of the Tank Corps in place of the overcoat now used."

This may just be a matter of semantics, but I wonder if there was any distinction made by the War Department between a "Mackinaw Coat" ... and a "Mackinaw Overcoat".

"Mackinaw Coat" was the official name that was assigned to the dark blue woolen Mackinaw that was first adopted in 1907 for wear in extreme weather. That name was also likely bestowed on the olive drab wool, hip length and belted over-garments that were worn during WW I.

The name "Mackinaw Overcoat" as mentioned in the above quote extracted from the 1918 edition of "Textile World" suggests a longer garment that that of a "coat".

Could that be a reference to a type of overcoat - not a coat, whose design was influenced by the shorter Mackinaw Coat? In other words, could the unknown style of overcoat that began this post actually be called a "Mackinaw Overcoat" because of its shorter than normal length, rolling collar and patch pockets?