F-82 Twin Mustang

fstop61

Currently in San Antonio, TX. for my son's BMT graduation. They have a really nice static warbird display at the parade field at Lackland AFB. This twin Mustang really stood out from the rest of the pack. A really rare bird.

post-35406-0-94027100-1454038396.jpg

Congratulations to your son.

As I recall, that F-82 is painted in a Korean War night fighter scheme.

It's a nice selection of aircraft... I just wish some of them were not out in the open air and elements.

If you still have access to the base, there is a nice Airmen's museum located there as well that shows the contributions of Enlisted Airmen from WWI to the present. It is located in an old WWII style barracks that was being restored.

Congratulations to your son.

As I recall, that F-82 is painted in a Korean War night fighter scheme.

It's a nice selection of aircraft... I just wish some of them were not out in the open air and elements.

If you still have access to the base, there is a nice Airmen's museum located there as well that shows the contributions of Enlisted Airmen from WWI to the present. It is located in an old WWII style barracks that was being restored.

Thanks, yes, I drove past the museum yesterday plan on checking it out either today or tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your son's graduation from USAF BMT....

did ya look at these planes close...some of the parts are plastic,fiberglass...turbos on the B-24 engines...etc...thought that was cool...maybe taking the part for a flying bird or the USAF Museum resto...or they were just missing...

Unless they have changed it, the B-24 is a complete, full sized fabrication, including painted on windows.

I didn't get a chance to figure out if any of the others were also mock ups. Too busy with watching the graduation ceremonies.

Once the graduates get released, it is just chaos with families, friends, hugs, etc.

Thanks for the kind words--I didn't look at the B-24 too closely, so I will defer to Gil's assessment. I have a shots of it that I'll post. (BTW-my son just has moved to Keesler AFB in MS for technical school).

dang...the entire B24 a replica...that is awesome....I shoulda looked harder myself.......

What will your son be doing....???

yeah was down there in 2013 for sons graduation...now a F22 crew dawg...was neat to roam around again......

From 1956 until 1999, the last operational B-24 was displayed at Lackland AFB. It had been used in icing research after the war into the 1950's. It was shipped to the Imperial Air Museum at Duxford as part of an aircraft trade and a fiberglass replica took its place.

dang...the entire B24 a replica...that is awesome....I shoulda looked harder myself.......

What will your son be doing....???

yeah was down there in 2013 for sons graduation...now a F22 crew dawg...was neat to roam around again......

That would make a cool party room/ cabin.

Without getting into specifics- he'll be working on computers. Please thank your son for his service-pretty awesome working with fighter jets.

Isn't that the F-82 that the NMUSAF stole from the CAF a few years ago?? Great to see it rotting away as an outdoor static display :(

No offense intended to you or you photo fstop61. Just seeing your photo reminded me of the entire sad debacle.

-Derek

Isn't that the F-82 that the NMUSAF stole from the CAF a few years ago?? Great to see it rotting away as an outdoor static display :(

No offense intended to you or you photo fstop61. Just seeing your photo reminded me of the entire sad debacle.

-Derek

It's apparently not the same aircraft. The one you are referring to is on display at the National Museum of the USAF in the Korean War section. Apparently they have a second one as well on display in the Cold War section.

Please see the "Survivors" section of the following article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

Nearly 20,000 Liberators and variants built and a FIBERGLASS one was the best the USAF could ever do for a display one at what is arguably the most visited and well known USAF facility in America. The lack of preservation is just criminal, from the 1940s onward.

I think I have some shots of that F82 somewhere too. That thing must have about 5 inches of paint hanging on it if it's been there since the late 1960s.

I was a bit nervous wandering amongst those aircraft on display there, figuring the rattlesnakes would very much be enjoying the shade provided by them.

From 1956 until 1999, the Air Force had the last operational B-24 on display at Lackland. It was traded to the Imperial War Museum and was replaced with the replica.

Nearly 20,000 Liberators and variants built and a FIBERGLASS one was the best the USAF could ever do for a display one at what is arguably the most visited and well known USAF facility in America. The lack of preservation is just criminal, from the 1940s onward.

I think I have some shots of that F82 somewhere too. That thing must have about 5 inches of paint hanging on it if it's been there since the late 1960s.

I was a bit nervous wandering amongst those aircraft on display there, figuring the rattlesnakes would very much be enjoying the shade provided by them.

You might enjoy reading the book Hidden Warbirds II. It includes a chapter "Where did all the B-24 Liberators Go?". It talks about the handful of surviving aircraft, and the fact that most of them owe their continued existence to having been relegated to some very obscure roles. One was even used as "clubhouse" for a Boy Scout troop after the war!

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Warbirds-II-Recovering-Rebuilding/dp/0760346011

• 3 weeks later...
El Bibliotecario

Those who are into B24s and schmalz might enjoy the above clip, which documents the poignant end of the bomber fleet.

Congrats for your son also. I used to hang out at the CAF in Harlingen Texas during the early 80's. The twin mustang was being rebuilt. I asked what happened to it and was told they let someone pilot it that was qualified. Old mechanic said he flew alright but landed it 10 feet off the ground. The work was held up trying to find a reverse pitch propeller, i think they found one in south America somewhere. I finally was allowed to stand in the hangers with them and listen to the great stories they told/lied to each other. Emptied trash and cleaned tools a couple times, still had to pay admission