WWII M-43 e-tool carrier & USMC Vietnam era carrier

BOLO

Greg Robinson
anyone know if a M1951 E-Tool with folding pick will fit in a WWII M43 carrier? or will it be too tight ?

It'll fit but you won't be able to secure the flap.

Re the "USMC" carrier.....not real sure that was a USMC specific item. National Guard _may_ have also used them since they were armed with the M1 rifle and didn't have web gear compatible with the M56 system.

It is Marine specific, the Marines never officially adopted the M-1956 Equipment so they made a cover for the newer style e-tool but with the old M-1910 belt hook.

anyone know if a M1951 E-Tool with folding pick will fit in a WWII M43 carrier? or will it be too tight ?

I cant fit mine in the flap and close it, but its a little tight. I have two types with the pick on it, one is a ww2 style with pointed end and one is rounded

Here are both of them as you can see they both fit in and can snap close, the rounded one is bigger and can fit in the Mint unbroken in one.

Hope I can help.

post-2305-1219853327.jpg

post-2305-1219853336.jpg

Greg Robinson

There's another contract for an "M1943" carrier dated 1957 but it's made for the later combination e tools. Only difference between it and the 1967 USMC carriers is it has a LTD fastener. I assume it was intended to accomodate both pattern shovels. And it also has the cartridge belt hooks.

I bought the WWII dated carrier, it might not fit my Vietnam era shovel with pick

might have to get a later style USMC carrier with hooks on the back

I bought the WWII dated carrier, it might not fit my Vietnam era shovel with pick

might have to get a later style USMC carrier with hooks on the back

it fits, just tight

as long as I can snap the flap shut then it should be alright, yours look like the Vietnam era USMC covers

They are, I have never had a cover and shovel were it wouldn't snap shut, just tight and lose

Both covers are the USMC type with snap and wire hangers in the back, both dated 67. they fit ww2 dated with out pick ax and Vietnam dated with it.

I have a '52 dated combo E-tool, and the only non-USMC carrier I have that will fit is a '53 dated one that's labelled-

carrier, entrenching tool, combination

Handy Pad supply Co.

I have a few '57 contrct ones too, and they don't fit either.

• 3 months later...

Okay I am confused (nothing new there).

I just picked up an M-1943 intrenching tool with with a 1963 contract date (it came with the folding shovel dated 1964).

So the question is: why were they making M-1943 carriers in 1962 when the M-56 carriers had been introduced before then? Did only the Marines use these newer M-43 models?

m43label.jpg

43back.jpg

m43.jpg

Greg Robinson
Okay I am confused (nothing new there).

I just picked up an M-1943 intrenching tool with with a 1963 contract date (it came with the folding shovel dated 1964).

So the question is: why were they making M-1943 carriers in 1962 when the M-56 carriers had been introduced before then? Did only the Marines use these newer M-43 models?

Those fall into the same category as the early '60's M1910 canteen covers. Marines used them and I was once told that Army National Guard used them also.

Greg

• 1 year later...