hypothetical question here.

Phantomf4

So I've been sitting around idle for a month now and I've noticed I get these weird questions pop in my head, obviously to much time on my hands. So my question is let's say I was sitting on the porch and a F-18 crashed in my backyard. (pilot bailed out and is ok). Could you refuse to let the G-men take it? Could you keep it for your personal collection? Would they have to have a warrant? Or would they just shoot me and take it anyway?

See like I said, to much time on my hands.

Back in '52, a jet crashed about a mile from the family farm. G-men were there ASAP. Grandma and Grandpa walked the whole way, Grandpa griping at Grandma because she was pregnant at the time. They (the G-men) were very adamant about who it belonged to! I'm sure there'd be a thousand reasons for it to be government property. A few of the neighbors did get little bits. Bullets, etc. Probably 20mms.

If a car crashed in your front yard (which is MUCH more highly likely :) ) the car would be the vehicle owner's car not yours. You are not entitled to it because it crashed in your front yard. This would be the same as a plane crash. The plane is government owned so it would be the government's property to take away not yours to keep.

...Kat

So Phantomf4....is there more to this you're not telling us.....

just hypothetical....

Right???

And when are you going to allow the pilot to call his base???

Bluejacket

So Phantomf4....is there more to this you're not telling us.....

just hypothetical....

Right???

And when are you going to allow the pilot to call his base???

Bluejacket

After he makes sure his name is written in his flight suit and a picture is taken for provenance, and he changes into some second hand clothes!! :)

So what if a tank was returning to the local armory, threw a track and they pulled over in your front yard? It's a no brainer, the tank is yours.........lol

After he makes sure his name is written in his flight suit and a picture is taken for provenance, and he changes into some second hand clothes!! :)

You left out the flight helmet, O2 mask, survival vest, parachute, ejection seat, cockpit section, engines, tailhook, and vertical stabilizers with unit markings. Oh and hey the radar may come in handy also. Then we'd talk phone call. :)

So what if a tank was returning to the local armory, threw a track and they pulled over in your front yard? It's a no brainer, the tank is yours.........lol

Well of course it would be mine then, ya see here's what you do, you keep em at bay for lets say 30 days or so then you apply for a abandoned vehicle title. HA HA so who's Tanks/fighter is it now!? LOL

Well I do have a pretty big backyard. But after dodging flying rivets and missiles and the shock of it wore off, yes I think I would say I'm lucky to be alive. As I'm reaching for tools to start the treasure hunt. Lol

Phantom a training jet out of Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi crashed in a farming area of our county. The instructor and the student both ejected without any problems. The farmer who's land the jet crashed on witnessed the two descending to the ground. The Air Force came in here and completely took over that area. They cordoned off the area and let nobody close. It took them several days to investigate what happened and several more to get the jet out of the farmers field. The farmer had very little say in what went on.

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

When I was in high school back in the 1960's, I heard news that an A-1 Skyraider crashed in a plowed field while trying to make an emergency landing at Greenwood, MS. A day or two later, I actually convinced my Mom to drive me out to see the crash site. The story was told that the pilot could not make the airport so he selected the field. He forgot to jettison his fuel tanks and one of them dug into the dirt and flipped the plane on it back---killing the pilot.

We arrived at the crash site and sadly saw the crash debris had been removed. Despite being a broad area of burnt soil, a guard was posted on the site. Mom drove along the dirt road that passed along two sides of the crash site. From the car, I spotted something lying in the dirt. Since my brother had built a 1/48 scale model of the A-1 with articulated flaps and spoilers, I immediately recognized it as the dive brake mounted on the left side of aft fuselage. Boy!! was I attempted to jump out of the car and snatch it and yell at Mom to hit the gas. But I was too scared of that guard.

However, I was able to get out of the car and walk a portion of the crash site. I collected a few souvenirs---pages from the pilot's flight manual with singed edges. I think I still have these pages.