Interesting Wing Background

will m.

Pictured is the Officers coat of Harold W. Walkup, O-711104. Walkup was a Navigator with the 535th Bomb Squadron, 381st Bomb Group and flew 2 tours and was a Lead Navigator.

Of interest is the backing for his wing badge.....it is made of red wool and cut to match the badge. My reason for posting this in the Wings section is probably obvious, however if the Administrators think it needs to be moved, please do so.

The coat and some other items came directly from Harold Walkup. Harold "graduated" from the War as a Captain. His plane was B-17G-35-DL, 42-107018 (cn21933) named Los Angeles City Limits. He is pictured with the W. E. Herman crew, 4th from the left, standing.

post-4098-0-19338600-1453922183.jpg

post-4098-0-68370500-1453922244.jpg

doinworkinvans

Didn't red felt designate lead crew? I wish I could remember where I read this, but I think this was true?? Maybe I am making it up?!! :huh:

doinworkinvans

It is true that in Jan 1945 - he was lead navigator for 535th. So I am assuming it has something to do with that...

doinworkinvans

I though lead crew was blue background with gold border. Interesting, I'm sure someone has the answer! Paul

You are correct....so I guess I was making that up!

But with him being sqdrn lead nav - something has to be made of that red background

I'll admit...for all I've seen, that's a new one for me.

The "traditional" "lead crew" was just what baker502 described...a gold border on the blue combat backing.

I'm curious as to what this one is!

Dave

Not sure about the red backing, I'll see if I can dig something up.

But fyi, here is what the Blue/Gold is all about.

Taken from "Fighter Pilot" by William R. Dunn University Press of Kentucky.

John

post-12439-0-11576100-1454004979.jpg

I agree......we have a period photo of Lt. Walkup wearing this coat......no ribbons and no space for ribbons. The photo is believed taken in England although it is oil tented by a Tennessee studio.......coloring was done fairly accurate.

No space for ribbons below wings. Unusual.

W

• 1 year later...
BILL THE PATCH

Could it be for bloodied? Like the 1st USMC div with red background ?,

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk