Why is there a Silver Bar Above this Gold Overseas Chevron?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I stumbled across another reference to a "Silver Bar" while reading the diary of Corporal Theodore Edward Beach, Battery F, 121st Field Artillery Regiment, 32nd Division, AEF.

In it, shortly after the successful completion of the Soissons & Aisne Offensive in which the 32nd Division was heavily involved, Corporal Beach noted that the 32nd Division had been cited twice in despatches by a general officer (Gen. Pershing & French Gen. Mangin). His artillery regiment was also cited by the French General. He then went on to mention that if his artillery regiment gets cited a second time he will then be qualified to wear the French shoulder cord (Fouirgerre). He then stated, "Maybe we wear the silver bar instead."

Can anybody explain what the "silver bar" he mentioned might be?

Anyway, here is his exact diary entry concerning the event of September 3, 1918:

"Sept 3, The 2 - 3 - 28 - 32 - 42 Div are all cited by Gen. Pershing & Mangin. The latter for the 32nd only. That makes two citations for our Div & one for our regiment & if we wear shoulder cords like the French for distinction we need only two citations. Maybe we wear the silver bar instead."