Super 84th Div WWII Grouping!

ScottG

I received this all from the vets Brother back in August of last year. The Brother continues to call with more findings regularly and up until today! This is the uniform, and souvenirs of PFC Fred Nock, 334th Inf, 84th Division. Nock was from Detroit and had a gift for sketching. Included in this group are over 200 sketches he did while in service. Some he never completed as one might expect from an infantry PFC. Some are done on scrap paper, some on V-mail, some on stationery and some on captured German paper. Nock was wounded on Dec 26th at the Bulge and later returned to the unit for the capture and occupation of Germany. He stayed on in the Constabulary and left via the 83rd Division. This is one of the coolest groupings I have ever received. As I said, the Brother keeps calling. He called today as there is a P-38 or Luger with holster, and more uniform items I need to go back for. I also left him the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and two German swords. So, enjoy! Scott.

Here is the uniform and it came as you see it. Ike, shirt, trousers, belt, and tie (not pictured) . the Purple Heart ribbon is in another pic as the pin is broke. DUI appear to be theater made. Scott.

post-104832-0-43439700-1453877017.jpg

post-104832-0-45651900-1453877073.jpg

post-104832-0-43299600-1453877477.jpg

Unit history for the 84th, 334th Regimental history which mentions an incident where Nock captured a "Jerry" Captain (we will see more about that). Medals in boxes, a cool CIB/German coin bracelet, K-ration, Lucky Strikes, playing cards, goggle box, extra ribbon, dog tags, summer dress cap, and more... Scott

post-104832-0-86087500-1453877726.jpg

post-104832-0-55407300-1453877829.jpg

84th unit roster of all who participated in the ETO, basic training book, yard long autographed by about 200 of his buddies, shooting score book, other pamphlets and 1/2" thick pile of v-mails, EIB, DUI, malaria pills, lapel pins, and more. Scott

post-104832-0-54197500-1453878132.jpg

German Panzergrenadier uniform, tunic, trousers and he even sent home the boots! The hat is infantry, but Nock sent this home as well. I even have two period pics of him wearing it while still in Europe! Scott

post-104832-0-31958000-1453878336.jpg

3 very large photo albums containing pics of him and the 334th, German pics, postcards, maps, ssi, his Western Union wound telegram and follow up progress cards from the hospital (he was shot in the calf), and also newspaper clippings. There is another giant album of some of his sketches. Scott

post-104832-0-83254400-1453878959.jpg

Here are more maps, a pile of about 150 of the sketches that are not in an album and a sketch book. Some of the sketches are killer and hopefully will be in a Military Trader article I submitted. Scott.

post-104832-0-67741300-1453879254.jpg

Absolutely nuts! Wow!

-Ski

Thanks Ski, I still have two plastic totes of paperwork to go through from this grouping, and each thing seems to yield new treasures. What was amazing is that he and his Brother kept everything all this time, and they took care of it. Scott

Wow, that has to be one of the best and most complete time capsules ever. Looks like the family did a good job of keeping this together. I wonder if it was something the vet indicated he was proud of or if a son/daughter preserved it to honor the father. Amazing to see all of the souvenirs as well.

Any idea what the winking beaver patch is? That is the only thing that seems to be out of place with this lot.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that has to be one of the best and most complete time capsules ever. Looks like the family did a good job of keeping this together. I wonder if it was something the vet indicated he was proud of or if a son/daughter preserved it to honor the father. Amazing to see all of the souvenirs as well.

Any idea what the winking beaver patch is? That is the only thing that seems to be out of place with this lot.

Thanks for sharing.

I was going to ask the same thing about that beaver/otter looking patch.

Neither the vet or his Brother ever married and there are no children. So, I think it was just a point of pride in keeping it well preserved. As for the beaver, its kind of like a German version of "loose lips, sinks,ships". Scott

Lucky 7th Armored

WOW. I don't think it can get much better than this! I am glad that it all went to a good home and was not scattered across the country or even the globe.