VMSB 244 Bombing Banshees Patch

Colonel Sanders

An interesting photo, no doubt, but these squadron patches are postwar. The VMSB-244 was deactivated in 1946. So, without any provenance and no hi res patch photos or patch in hand, it remains in doubt and still requires further research.

• 5 months later...

hello, I picked up a grouping today and thought I'd share it with you. This pilot went in on the V-5 program and was held in the USA as a instructor til sometime in 1943. There was some Chinese money, and other stuff he brought back from over there, so as far as I know he was in the unit til the end of the war. This is his M-422A Jacket. The patch is embroidered on felt.

post-153748-0-79439300-1468642834.jpg

post-153748-0-23379500-1468643051.jpg

Nice find! It's good to see another one of these turn up.

Thanks! I got most of his stuff, still hoping to get more. I think it was once in a lifetime chance to get it. maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. LOL

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd try and add to the knowledge base. This is a small group that I picked up today. Everything is from the estate of Tech. Sgt. Leo A. Bullinger USMCR. Sgt. Bullinger was a plane mechanic with VMSB-244. He has numerous entries on the squadron muster roll.

The two patches are both painted stencils on blue felt/wool. One of which is the center section that's been cut out of another patch. The complete patch is just under 5 inches in diameter.

post-124172-0-14835500-1474322172_thumb.jpg

post-124172-0-98948800-1474322188_thumb.jpg

Awesome grouping. That "cutout" patch looks as though it's been consumed by moths though. I would keep it separated from the other mint one and inspect them carefully/treat for possible infestation as well. Jeffro