RIP Ted Paluch... Malmedy Survivor

Garandomatic

Buddy of mine texted me a picture of the guests for Show of Shows, and I was disheartened to not see Ted Paluch there. Of my entire experience, meeting Ted was the highlight of my first SOS in 2015. Can't believe I didn't see this. Gotta say, it hits me pretty hard. Went to the funeral of my buddy from school on the 16th, he used to take care of my hallway and we'd shoot the breeze in my classroom, was in Vietnam with the 11th ACR. Helped put on Masonic services for a 32nd Div. WWII 3XPH vet that I knew on the 24th, and here I see Ted's gone. Heck of a run at 92, but I sure wish they'd be around forever.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-08-17/news/65525605_1_field-artillery-observation-battalion-malmedy-massacre-bulge

I was aware of the Malmedy Massacre as a very young kid just because I was intensely interested in WWII from about 7 on. Always stuck with me, just an unforgettable event... Terrifying, really. I couldn't believe I got to meet a survivor.

post-9670-0-64301200-1453857970.jpg

He was a friend of my fathers from Phila and the army ! I meet him as a kid and heard his story ! Very nice man !

My father went to the funeral.

I'm shocked to hear the news, especially (and embarrassingly) since it's been over 5 months since his passing.

Dad and I were truly honored and fortunate to meet him at SOS in 2014. A extremely affable, courteous and patient man who survived one of the most well known atrocities of the war. Rest in piece, Mr. Paluch, it was a sincere pleasure sharing even just a few minutes with a humble, yet (in my humble opinion) heroic veteran of the Battle of the Bulge.

ViewfinderGyrene

So sad! I met him several times at WWII Weekend in Reading, PA. Always so kind and willing to chat. Rest in Peace. I've lost so many friends from that event...

Very sad indeed, I too had met him at the SOS and we talked at length about his experience as I have been to the Malmedy massacre site and he was surprised by that. I'm so fortunate to have met him and had a great talk, not to mention a photo with him and he autographed his book about his experience.

Like Garandomatic, I wish these great gentlemen could live forever, but he's now at peace. RIP Ted.

Rick

I'm also greatly saddened by his passing. I was honored to meet and talk with Mr. Paluch at the 2013 and 2015 Show of Shows. I found him to be a very humble, friendly man. Rest in Peace, Sir!

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad to here of Mr. Paluch's passing. My wife and I got to know him from the SOS and always looked forward to seeing him. Last year I brought an aerial photograph of the Malmedy crossroads where the massacre took place.. He drew on the photo where he was standing when the shooting started and where he ran to escape. The year before in 2014 he told us his story in great detail. We were both deeply touched. I asked him if he had a lot of problems after the war after his experience. He said "After experiencing what I have, every day that I wake up and open my eyes is a blessing". I will never forget what a positive, warm, and humble person we was. We were very blessed to have met him.

Outstanding. I wish I could have asked him about his experience, but I feared be got that so much, and it would have to weigh on you...

Any way you can post a photo of that crossroads picture?

Mr Paluch was very open about what happened and discussed it fully. Some times it was difficult to listen to. He was on end of line of men when firing began and dropped to ground imediatley. He survived by playing dead. He listened as men called for there mothers, and heard bayonets being stuck into people around him as germans walked through the bodies finishing off thouse still moving. I can't imagine how he wasn't haunted throughout his life, but he was just a happy go lucky person. Makes you realize how lucky we all are.

I surely wish I talked to him about the event, then. We spoke for a while and when he asked if I knew what happened, and I said I did. His account was in Fatal Crossroads, and I found it to be an outstanding book. I kick myself for this about as bad as the time I saw a local Indianapolis survivor at the veterans parade and couldn't speak... He died the next year.

Sorry to hear this. I was very fortunate to meet 3 survivors. One is still with us. He does the memorial day parade in his home town every year.