ARVN RANGER HELMET

Jason_Hardy

I guess people must sort out whom they deem trustworthy.

I CANNOT produce the inventory sheet giving the Vietnamese Government our helmet surplus, the name of the supply sergeant who received the lot of helmets, the name of the clerk who issued the helmets to the ARVN unit, the paint manufacturer, the brush manufacturer, the name of the Vietnamese national who painted the helmet, the education level (what grade he received in art) of he artist, the number or rain storms the piece has been through, how many times the piece was placed on a head, how many times it was tossed down (there are dints, dings, scratches and scraps), the identity of the DNA on the helmet, the serial number of the jeep the item was stolen from, the ARVN officer's name who had the piece stolen, any form of a Vietnamese National Police INCIDENT REPORT sighting the stolen helmet, the luggage tag describing the weight of the veteran's whole baggage or inventory sheet that was shipped home.

All I have is the helmet and a signed statement (NOT NOTORIZED or citing JESUS CHRIST himself) from the veteran describing the helmet and it's history, I would say that it is good enough for me.

With all that said, I am done wasting my time on this thread with people who have never owned or held a real one.

i feel that was a bit unnecessary? im asking for the lot number, like i said if the helmet being made by RJ Stampings which at this point there is no reason to assume it is or isnt, it couldnt have been "Souvenir'd" (stolen) in 1968-1969 as RJ Stampings didnt get a contract until 1970 which who know when the first of those got issued.

post-2009-14538610269196.jpg

One similar to Jason's minus the tiger head

What's my point of posting my pics taken from my up coming Cammo book ?

There is beyond more than 1 correct paint scheme on a Vietnam military helmet.

Jason's is stellar.

Owen

I think Jason was just sharing this helmet to well... share. I know of him and his impressive work with the VN SF community and it does not surprise me one bit he knew the vet. The small photos? I don't think Mr. Hardy needs to prove anything to anyone, and his photos are just to share his helmet.

On a personal note, I am a little ashamed that this section is always so quick to demand close ups, call items into questions, and stir up drama. We as viewers are not entitled to anything. What people choose to share with us is their choice, and our pleasure. It seems that lately genuine informational threads go unnoticed and witch hunts quickly grow to 3 page monsters that require the Mod and Admin team to clean or lock.

Again, how quickly thing turn nasty on this board is just ridiculous. One of the reasons many simply do not post their items.

This helmet looks fine to me, and the fact Vintageproductions and Owen are going to bat for it tell me enough.

post-2009-14538617171347.jpg
And lastly for you kiddies who have never seen a set of real Ranger helmets feast your eyes on these

Note Tiger head is in the same ball part as Jasons.

Fake paint jobs are terrible.

The Tiger heads are always really close in scale from helmet to helmet in the 67-68 time frame.

Per that date the head is a bit larger and mobile a bit more.

Look and learn.

*Sigh* Ya know, all the good and knowledgeable helmet collectors have pretty much abandoned this forum and have gone to private forums because of crap like this thread. Some guys here seem to think they are the know-it-all's simply because those who really do know their stuff have left or stopped posting. A handful of them stay here and press on but, you guys have really made this an unfriendly place.

Jason, I apologize for the members of the USMF for what you've faced here, this should not have been.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm sure most of you have seen this thread and I would like to make an apology to Jason Hardy

Jason: I sincerely apologize for assumptions and I would like to reiterate that I insulted Jason with unfounded accusations about his helmet. This was definitely not the right way to go about questioning someone's helmet and as stated above, I would like to sincerely apologize to Jason and to all other members whom I have offended. In the future, I will definitely be more cautious about my word choice and will think carefully before posting something.

Sincerely, N

Just out of curiosity, what would a lot number tell you on a Vietnam era helmet (ARVN or American used)? The war in Vietnam had soldiers wearing M1 helmets from WWII, the 1950's and the new production M1's made in the 60's and early 70's.

The stamp can be used to identify the manufacturer and, since manufacturers were awarded contracts that were specific to a range of years, it can provide you with a range of years in which that helmet would have been manufactured. In the case where an ARVN Ranger helmet was acquired in Saigon by a veteran whose tour ranged from 1968-1969, it is reasonable to expect that the stamp on the helmet would belong to a manufacturer that was awarded a contract prior to the year 1968. A stamp identifying the manufacturer as the Parish Division of the Dana Corporation or R.J. Stampings would not be found on a helmet that was manufactured prior to 1968.

• 3 years later...

The veteran I purchased the helmet from souvenired (stole) the piece from a ARVN jeep outside the Cho Lon PX (Post Exchange) in Saigon. He stated that the ARVN officer was busy buying items from civilian employees who were allowed to purchase items from our PX for the black market.

Still would like some close-ups on the tiger if you're willing. The more information I can get on these the better.

vintageproductions

Still would like some close-ups on the tiger if you're willing. The more information I can get on these the better.

Jason has not been back on the forum since the above BS happened, and in all honesty I don't blame him.

His last post was 3/6/17.

His profile also indicates that he was last active 4/3/19.

Maybe he is not posting but still listening?

In response to:

And lastly for you kiddies who have never seen a set of real Ranger helmets feast your eyes on these

The Tiger heads are always really close in scale from helmet to helmet in the 67-68 time frame.

Look and learn.

We all know that copies can be made that look close to the original ; )

I am NOT saying this one posted by the OP is a repro.

Just saying that it is not unfair to ask how one can tell a real ARVN from a fake ARVN in order to gain experience.

Merely saying, "I have seen a lot of these" and "I have collected a long time" and "I have many in my collection" does not really help answer the question as to how one spots a fake.

vintageproductions

In response to:

Look and learn.

We all know that copies can be made that look close to the original ; )

I am NOT saying this one posted by the OP is a repro.

Just saying that it is not unfair to ask how one can tell a real ARVN from a fake ARVN in order to gain experience.

Merely saying, "I have seen a lot of these" and "I have collected a long time" and "I have many in my collection" does not really help answer the question as to how one spots a fake.

Instead of commenting here, why don't you contact Jason Hardy directly?

He may answer you directly, but he will not answer you here.

Very easy to do a search on the internet to find him and what he does for this hobby.

my first impression from the photo, is it looks like a fake, I was kind of surprised that so many members thought it was the real deal and believed the story

the fresh dried mud is a big red flag as An Duc mentioned , looks like someone tried to make it look old

sorry to disappoint but Vietnam vets do lie and make up stories

I have no dog in this fight apart from purchasing numerous items off Jason and speaking to him a few times, hes also provided additional information to me. We have seen quite a few self proposed experts ousted from the forum for fakes etc etc but I do not believe Jason to be one of those guys, so Im more than happy defend him on this one.

Firstly, Its brown paint not mud, perhaps go back and read Jasons reply.

Also I do like that a large part of the argument for a fake even if has been apologised for, is a spelling mistake in the lettering, and that is being based on the assumption that you knew the education level of someone you didnt know.

I know allegedly well educated people now that dont know the difference between there, their and theyre.

So perhaps find another angle.

Nobody said he was a bad dude.

Nobody said the helmet was not authentic.

Members just want to know HOW CAN YOU TELL it is authentic other than "I have seen many in the past."

Blacksmith

And this is why I think topics of this tone should not be reanimated 3+ years later. Pickin’ scabs, and getting folks snarky - not worth it. There is enough information on these ARVN helmets on the forum as-is, just search / find it.

That said, and this example aside, I think anybody should be allowed to ask questions about any item, as long as it is done respectfully. You can question an item without questioning the person. I think we’ve seen examples where certain member’s items became pretty much beyond question, and it back-fired on us.

I also think questions and answers happening in plain view on the forum strengthens all of our knowledge - at least it does mine, limited as it is.

I come here as a place to hide from the stresses of the real world. Help a brother out here... :)

And dag-gonnit Owen, stop hogging all the ARVN lids. LOL.

Brother ,

I havent seen a good ARVN to buy in years !

There was not one at Bobs show a few weeks ago and there were a few hundred offerings on tables.

Blacksmith

You will find another one mate - I am confident. :)

When is your book out, btw?

Brother ,

I havent seen a good ARVN to buy in years !

There was not one at Bobs show a few weeks ago and there were a few hundred offerings on tables.

I know nothing about these helmets, but my Vietnamese-born wife had no problem reading the writing correctly. Coincidentally, she lived in Cho Lon back then. When she was in elementary school,a drunk Vietnamese soldier dropped a grenade off his moped and the explosion went through the door of her friend's house where she was studying. She got a small frag in her arm and a sliced leg.

The soldier was killed. It sounds like there were a lot of unsat Vietnamese soldiers in Cho Lon. Lol

Round 2 is not happening. Like I stated long ago on this thread, some of you have made this an unfriendly place.

Edit: if you are wondering what in the world I am talking about, it's because I have had to remove some unnecessary stuff from this thread.