Unusual USMC Canteen Cover? manufactured or field modified?

USMC-RECON0321

• 3 months later...
MattOravik

That is one heck of a nice canteen set! Early (EGA snap) cover updated with LDT snaps. The metal tube inside the hanger tab is a giveaway.

-Matt.

• 2 years later...

Early canteen cover example were the threads are all treated with wax or a preservatives when made to keep them from rotting away .

You can see were the ink did not penetrate the front threads and Its a number unit marking.

post-7997-0-10995400-1545688462.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the canteen arrived today and I've taken many detailed pictures in natural sunlight to post for inspection. Having it in hand I can say 100% the following;

1. The USMC stamp us UNDER the manufactured stitching
  2. The hanger and tube are made of Brass
  3. There is no sign of a date or mfg stamp ever being under the cover flaps
  4. This canteen cover was upgraded from eagle snaps to the lift a dots. (you can see where the female side of the snaps were removed from the cover and replaced with the early style male studs).
  5. Early cup and canteen - no dates
  6. Canteen has the early welded ring.
  7. The only weld seam on the body of the canteen is on the bottom.

Thanks again for all the input

Troy

Troy,

I went ahead and dug out my EGA snap canteen just to take a look for myself. Surprise surprise, you can make out a very faded USMC stamp in the same location as yours. I'm not sure why people were so adamant about this being a fake. I think a very strong case has been made that these markings are 100% real.

post-8903-0-38331200-1546391082.jpg

post-8903-0-59581200-1546391201.jpg

post-8903-0-22067500-1546391264.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Troy,

I went ahead and dug out my EGA snap canteen just to take a look for myself. Surprise surprise, you can make out a very faded USMC stamp in the same location as yours. I'm not sure why people were so adamant about this being a fake. I think a very strong case has been made that these markings are 100% real.

attachicon.gif20190101_190530 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gif20190101_190546 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gif20190101_190614 (Small).jpg

Nice and thanks for the update! Nice to see another one. I feel confident in its originality, just not many to be found. Nice to see yours still has the Eagle snaps on yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Troy