M8/M20 pictures required please guys?

2ad82recon

Yeah the M-44 goggles thing is a definate farbism...unless thats March-April 1945 Steve in Bavaria !!!!!

You tell em buddy...they are a "wrongun".......lovely looking 20 though mate....like the "field fit" front step....

thats gonna be a "shoo-in" on mine when she comes home

Regards

Lloyd

• 1 year later...

Here's another picture of a M8 Armored Car. This picture was taken at the liberation of the town Brunssum (The Netherlands) by the 2nd Armored Division on September 19th 1944. I found this picture on a Dutch forum and I have the permission of the owner to use the picture in this thread.

I always thought that the M8 Armored Car was used by Cavalry/Reconnaissance units and some various headquarters, but no other units. But this one on the picture has the following markings: 2Δ 66Δ (=2nd Armored Division 66th Armored Regiment). Confirmed by the owner of the picture. Unfortunally the markings on the other side are not readable, maybe it's used by the headquarters company of the 66th Armored Regiment? But as I don't have the TO&E of the (Heavy) Armored Regiment I can't check that. Or is this an exception and they used it because it was available or .....

EDIT: Picture is lost

Here's a real one of an M-20 of the 3rd Armored Division in Ensival, Belgium on 9 September 1944:

Ensival02.jpg

Hello Steve,

Unfortunally no markings are visible, which makes it very difficult or even impossible to indentify the unit of the 3rd AD to which this M20 belongs. So it also possible this is one of the M20 of the 83rd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion or do you have some more specific information about this one?

Rgds

I received this one via Henri Rogister, a Belgian historian. The photo was taken on the day the town was liberated by the 3rd Armored Division, so it is highly likely that the M20 belonged to the 3AD, but no guarantees.

Even if it is a 3AD vehicle, I can't say with any certainty that it is an 83rd Recon vehicle. I have heard some scattered anecdotal evidence that the infantry and armor regiments had some M20s or M8s, and if memory serves, MG Rose, the division commander had one for his use, too.

I wish it had visible markings, too!

Steve

hbtcoveralls

Here's another picture of a M8 Armored Car. This picture was taken at the liberation of the town Brunssum (The Netherlands) by the 2nd Armored Division on September 19th 1944. I found this picture on a Dutch forum and I have the permission of the owner to use the picture in this thread.

I always thought that the M8 Armored Car was used by Cavalry/Reconnaissance units and some various headquarters, but no other units. But this one on the picture has the following markings: 2Δ 66Δ (=2nd Armored Division 66th Armored Regiment). Confirmed by the owner of the picture. Unfortunally the markings on the other side are not readable, maybe it's used by the headquarters company of the 66th Armored Regiment? But as I don't have the TO&E of the (Heavy) Armored Regiment I can't check that. Or is this an exception and they used it because it was available or .....

HI All,
the Armored regiments in the second Armored had a recon platoon.

HI All,

the Armored regiments in the second Armored had a recon platoon.

True, but was the M8 standard issue in a Heavy Armored Regiment or an exception? As I don't have the TO&E of the (Heavy) Armored Regiment I can't check if it was standard issue or not. For an example, according to the TO&E a M8 wasn´t issued to an Tank Battalion, even not to it´s Recon Platoon.

You probably already have this reference but it does have the load list and placement of equipment for equipment on the M8 or M20. If there is anything I can look up for you, please let me know!

TM 9-743 Light Armored Car M8 and Armored Utility Car M20, dated 21 FEBRUARY 1944

post-203-1215898872.jpg

• 1 month later...
True, but was the M8 standard issue in a Heavy Armored Regiment or an exception? As I don't have the TO&E of the (Heavy) Armored Regiment I can't check if it was standard issue or not. For an example, according to the TO&E a M8 wasn´t issued to an Tank Battalion, even not to it´s Recon Platoon.

Meanwhile I found out that this M8 (picture Post #27) propable belonged to the Reconnaissance Company of the 66th AR, but I still haven't found the TO&E of an (Heavy) Armored Regiment. Please let me know if someone has it. A scan of it would be great.

the 2nd and 3rd armored had M8's in the recon platoons of their armored regiments plus M5 stuarts and M8 assault guns, have seen photos of 67th armored regiments M8's complete with yellow tac codes in Peronne and of 33rd Armored regiments in Marigny.

new large trip across Belgium and Netherlands to Germany follow the route of the 82nd Recon battalion being planned for september 2009 if anyone is interested

c82ndrcn.com

post-1229-1219238538.jpg