Joseph C. Kolinsky - 102nd Infantry regiment - WWI - born in Czechoslovakia

Hobza

Maybe some of you know, I collect everything related to the US Army and Czechoslovakia. I have some papers, dog tags, photo albums, badges, but I'm interested mainly medal. And especially WWII.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NoWar/856811961049219?sk=photos_stream&tab=photos_albums

I've never seen anything of the 1st World War .... until now.

Joseph C. Kolinsky ( *1894 Czechoslovakia - *1971 Connecticut )

Joseph was born in Czechoslovakia / then Austria-Hungary / in 1894. His family emigrated to the USA in 1901 when he was 7 years old.

He fought in the 102nd Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division during WWI and was wounded near Seicheprey in France 21.4 1918.

In late April, German infantry conducted a raid on positions of the 26th Division, one of the first attacks on Americans during the war. At 0400 on 20 April, German field artillery bombarded the 102nd Infantry's positions near Seicheprey before German Stormtroopers moved against the village. The artillery box barrage continuing 36 hours, isolated American units. The Germans overwhelmed a machine gun company and two infantry companies of the 102nd and temporarily breached the trenches before elements of the division rallied and recaptured the village. The Germans withdrew before the division could counterattack but inflicted 634 casualties, including 80 killed, 424 wounded, and 130 captured, while losing over 600 men, including 150 killed of their own

I dont have much information about his military career. For me it is important that the he was Czechoslovakian.....If anyone had any information or get his picture, I'll be very happy.

Thank you

Lubos

post-8933-0-93691300-1453647345.jpg

Your Victory Medal is Wrong

1.) The clasps are out of order and would not have been awarded like this.

2.) Next the WIA on the cards is wrong as the 26th Division, was not at the battle of LYS (Arp 1918). So he could not have been wounded there.

3.) The Meuse-Argonne battle clasp which you do have, was awarded for being with the 26th Division in battle on Sept, 26. until Nov. 11, 1918. This date is five months after the WIA date on the card you have.

4.) The only place you could get the CHATEAU THIERRY clasp was at a veterans convention years later. The DENFENSIVE SECTOR clasp you have, on your medal was awarded for these two campaigns, Ile de France and Lorraine. They never awarded clasps named Ile de France or Lorraine but you could get them at a vet convention.

5.) Below is a original medal from the 26th Division (Not all members of the 26th D. would have received the full 5 clasps but most of them would have.)

6.) The medal next to the 26th medal is the Victory Medal a CZ soldier who found in the CZ army would have been awarded.

post-12923-0-98908400-1453652199.jpg

post-12923-0-84990000-1453652216.jpg

Correction on number (2.) Next the WIA on the cards is wrong for

26th Division being in a major battle, like Meuse-Argonne, but would be correct for the Defensive Sector clasp as it would cover campaigns that the 26th was in Ile de France and Lorraine. Not Chateau Thierry.

oh thanks !! was there a Czech legion on western front ? would he been eligable for it from Czech govt ? did US soldiers of Czech decent get it ?

Just wondering if maybe he served in Czech army 1st ?

As stated by the original poster, Pvt. Kolinsky was wounded at the battle of Seicheprey, April 20, 1918, at which the 102nd was engaged. I see nothing wrong with his Purple Heart award card. He probably was in the hospital for a while and returned to the 102nd in time for the other battles listed.

Pete

• 5 years later...

I know this post is six years old, but I just stumbled upon it. Here is a 1937 photo of Joseph C. Kolinsky. He was active in veteran's organizations for most of his life,

Tom

Joseph C. Kolinsky 1937.jpg

13 hours ago, GITom1944 said:

I know this post is six years old, but I just stumbled upon it. Here is a 1937 photo of Joseph C. Kolinsky. He was active in veteran's organizations for most of his life,

Tom

Joseph C. Kolinsky 1937.jpg

Hi Tom,  That's great !!!  It made me happy. It's been 6 years, but I still haven't gotten the photo. So finally. Thank you so much.

Lubos

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 9:52 PM, shortsix said:

This is interesting -  From newpapers.com - Hartford Courant - May 19th, 1918 -

img.jpg.3fbdf6b2a7868c319c3e5d1a1d73b257.jpg

Hi, this is a great post. Thanks a lot. I am grateful for such help. Thank you :)

Interesting find.  Did a quick check in "Connecticut Servicemen 1917-1920" and found Joseph C. Kolinsky's bio (Vol 2, page 1407).  The man listed above him, John T. Kolinsky, appears from the census data to be his brother (also born in Czechoslovakia -- "Austria Bohemia" in the earlier census reports).  John T. Kolinsky was also a WW1 vet serving in the 102nd Inf and later with the 58th Pioneer Infantry.  PDF of the page that lists them both is attached.

Dennis

Kolinsky_Connecticut Servicemen 1917-1920 Vol 2 Pg 1407.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Bertmedals thanks a lot for more great information :))

Hello everyone. I have a big request. Do anyone have access to ancestry? Would it be possible to find out in what city Kolinsky was born? In Austro-Hungary / Czechoslovakia? Can anyone look at this for me? if such a document exists. I believe he has stated the place of birth somewhere. That's the only thing I miss.  I will be very grateful for this information.

thank you

Lubos