Helmet etiquette?

WW2JAKE

It seems I saw a while back a post on how to pick up a helmet but I cant find it anywhere, the reason for asking is today someone asked me what the proper way to pick up a helmet was and if when at a military show and there are helmets on the table, what you need to ask before doing and what is ok to do without asking. I was a bit caught off guard, and the words to explain could not come to my mind.

so simply. What is proper helmet etiquette for dealing with other peoples helmets such as how to pick up various types of helmets? removing liners?

unfortunately alot of us have seen someone pick up a helmet and break liner chinstraps on M1 helmets, and chinstraps on M1917s even the dreaded liner suspension tear.

any comments of proper handling would be great.

Well, if it's a display and not for sale, don't even think about touching it without asking, period.

If it's for sale, you can never go wrong with asking first, and most sellers appreciate it.

Never disassemble a helmet without asking first, even if you already have permission to handle it.

I always pick it up with two hands on the brim, preferably by the front and back side. I never pick it up touching any chinstrap. I always slide my fingers underneath to get a hold of a liner before lifting it off the table, just to make sure it doesn't drop out when I pick it up. I do my best to avoid putting any tension on the suspension or chinstraps.

Helmet etiquette??? No different than anything else. First ask if you can look at it...... Then use some common sense! Shouldn't need a schematic.

Then use some common sense! Shouldn't need a schematic.

unfortunately now days that is something thats almost as hard to find as a M2

We usually have the guys that do the "knock-knock-knock" on each helmet as they go down the row of them.

or the cocky flip over helmet take aparters, i have even had guys unsnap sweatbands all with out asking

Or rub on the camo paint...

Of course the German WW1 spike helmet they pick up by the spike, put it on, click their heels, give a nazi salute, and yell 'achtung' to their amused friends...before they look at the price tag...then they set it down like it is a Faberge egg.

Always err on the side of courtesy, just ask, be respectful, be careful and it will be most appreciated!

We usually have the guys that do the "knock-knock-knock" on each helmet as they go down the row of them.

or the cocky flip over helmet take aparters, i have even had guys unsnap sweatbands all with out asking

Or rub on the camo paint...

Of course the German WW1 spike helmet they pick up by the spike, put it on, click their heels, give a nazi salute, and yell 'achtung' to their amused friends...before they look at the price tag...then they set it down like it is a Faberge egg.

Always err on the side of courtesy, just ask, be respectful, be careful and it will be most appreciated!

someone unsnapped a sweatband? :huh: unless it was a post ww2 helmet I cant think of any good reason to unsnap a sweatband on a seller's helmet, let alone without asking! removing liners is understandable in my opinion and asking is always a good idea, but I think if I were to sell in that setting any helmets I put in reach of passerby's I'd make sure they werent helmets I'd mind if taken apart just to save myself stress... and then in my opinion there is always the you break it you buy it rule.

in fact once in a surplus store which was on the way home (modern surplus store) I stopped in as they occasionally get ww2-vietnam items I had $20 on me which I was willing to spend on something and it just so happened I found a Vietnam era army dress uniform for $18 so I was excited as I'd wanted one, I pick it up and start heading for the register when a guy comes though carrying a box and I stepped aside to make room for him and in doing so I unintentionally knocked a spinning display and 2 mugs fell off and broke. each was $10 so I sadly put the uniform back, picked up the pieces and headed for the register. when the guy rung it up he saw one was missing a handle and the other had a chip out of it, he said "you can grab not broken ones" with a confused look and I shook my head and said "I broke them I'll pay for them" he looked absolutely bewildered and said "accidents happen and I appreciate your honesty" he tossed them and said "dont worry about them" gave my money back and I ended up still getting the uniform, and for my honesty he even gave me a discount!

But that is just me, and because of that I dont touch high end helmets that I cant afford!

As Jerry stated its common courtesy.

I was raised and taught to always ask if I may see something or pick it up.Its someone else's property.

You get a lot of clowns at shows who assume its a touch and feel museum and they want to finger fondle your stuff or slap it on their mellon at shows.They "paid their money" to get into the show so everything in sight is a target for their cheeto and grease stained sausage grabbers.They like to impress their buddies with info as they just got done watching a 72 hour marathon on the History channel.

Watched a friend of mine once when a guy walked up to the table grabbed a revolver he had, layed the cylinder open, spun it in his best video game cowboy impression and then flicked his wrist to slam the cylinder shut all the while grinning at his buddy.He came unglued and proceeded to explain to video cowboy its something he shouldn't do as it can ruin the timing on a revolver.Plus he went on to explain to him in terms why you dont pick up people things that dont belong to you and how he spoke would have made a drill instructor blush.Im sure the guy learned a life lesson that day.

CNY Militaria

At last year's SOS, someone STOLE the leather liner chinstrap off a helmet I had for sale on my table. So that's bad etiquette as well.

At last year's SOS, someone STOLE the leather liner chinstrap off a helmet I had for sale on my table. So that's bad etiquette as well.

im actually not surprised, I've heard some pretty bad things about the SOS as far as thieves. It's a bit sickening to think about. got to wonder how the situation would have went had theh been caught in the act

CNY Militaria

Well my understanding is that they are banned from all OVMS events for life if caught stealing. A collector that was caught at SOS a couple years ago flew in from Europe for the last one and was turned away at the door. Had I seen it occur, I would have pressed criminal charges for larceny as well.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Well, when picking one up, always crook your pinkie finger, it shows class! lol

Seriously, ask permission first.

Never pick it up by any piece of leather.

Never take anything apart without asking, or better yet, have the vendor take it apart.

Courtesy and common sense go a long way, shame they are sorely lacking in today's world.

One time when I was 15-16 walking a show, I had a T-handle shovel I had just bought sticking out of my bag. I was in front of some old guy's table and he grabbed my shoulder real hard and demanded to know if I had stolen the shovel from his table. I took it out and showed it to him and he realized it was not his, but he was real mean to me the rest of my quick stay in his area. I always assumed it was my age he singled me out for. The fact that people steal from SOS sheds some perceptive on the fellow's motivation.

One time when I was 15-16 walking a show, I had a T-handle shovel I had just bought sticking out of my bag. I was in front of some old guy's table and he grabbed my shoulder real hard and demanded to know if I had stolen the shovel from his table. I took it out and showed it to him and he realized it was not his, but he was real mean to me the rest of my quick stay in his area. I always assumed it was my age he singled me out for. The fact that people steal from SOS sheds some perceptive on the fellow's motivation.

ive actually wondered alot about that and been worried someone would think the same towards me

Good topic! I think TheGrayGhost came up with a good set of rules. I always try to handle them carefully for several reasons. I don't want to damage webbing or leather chinstraps. And I've learned the hooks on dangling web chinstraps can catch on other items on a crowded display table. I don't want to have an Inspector Clouseau moment.

Well, when picking one up, always crook your pinkie finger, it shows class! lol

No pinkie, but I did have one occasion where a dealer apparently thought I was being too "delicate". When I handed a helmet back I was looking at he tossed it on the table with a thud. It was if he was thinking, "It's a piece of field gear, not the Dead Sea scrolls..."

Tom

I did have one occasion where a dealer apparently thought I was being too "delicate". When I handed a helmet back I was looking at he tossed it on the table with a thud. It was if he was thinking, "It's a piece of field gear, not the Dead Sea scrolls..."

Tom

well we are very careful with items made for war

If I want to take a look at anything at a show, I always ask first. Even if I want to inspect a uniform or take a photograph out of a bag, I ask. Until you agree to a deal and hand over cash, the item is not yours, and you need to treat it as such.

The worst I ever saw was a WWI uniform and helmet at an estate sale. It was hanging in a closet, and the people running the sale had the helmet hanging off the hanger using the leather chinstrap. As I gently took it down to relieve the pressure and place it on the shelf, the leather snapped. It seems common sense isn't so common.

Speaking as a seller the answer is simple:
1) Ask to pick it up.
2) If you need to separate the liner from the helmet, Ask first.
3) If there appears to be a fragile liner chinstrap, ask the seller to separate the liner and helmet. Trust me, he will like doing that a whole lot more than gritting his teeth while you do it.
4) Finally, don't unsnap Jerry's sweatband... or anyone else's for that matter.

..and don't get me started on the M2 switch blades or gravity knives...click-click, click-click, click-click...

;)

i've seen "sword fights" with bayonets hitting them edge to edge and even edge to scabbard... :dry: