LCT Landing Tanks On Lake Michigan Beach 1942

Bugme

While researching a local veteran I came upon this very neat photo of a LCT tank landing test just up the road from where I live in Wisconsin. My Grandfather worked on submarines at Manitowoc Shipbuilding, the same company that built this LCT. In the Background is the Rawley Point Lighthouse which is still in operation today.

LST-5 Landing at Rawley Point.jpg

Below is the description of the photo from the State of Wisconsin Educational Archives:
This 8" x 10" photograph is one of a series of pictures taken June 18, 1942 that document practice landings of LCT(5) invasion barges on the Lake Michigan shore at Point Beach State Forest north of Two Rivers, Wisconsin during World War II. LCT stands for "Landing Craft Tank." In 1942 under an urgent "Triple-A-Priority" Navy program the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company constructed 36 LCT(5) invasion barges to ferry tanks and other heavy equipment ashore for a planned invasion of North Africa and other operations. Practice landings were made on beaches in the Manitowoc-Two Rivers area to test equipment and techniques. LCT(5)s were about 114 feet in length, and had a bow ramp. The first LCT(5) was laid down at Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company on May 4, 1942; launched on June 10, 1942; and delivered to the Navy on June 29, 1942 for service in the Asiatic-Pacific theater. The LCT(5) shown in this series of photos is probably that first barge, on practice exercises between launch and delivery. In this photograph taken from the stern of the vessel, the barge, loaded with six tanks, approaches the shore at Point Beach, heading straight for the Rawley Point Lighthouse and keeper's house which are seen in the center above the beach. To the left are outbuildings associated with the lighthouse, and to the right two military trucks, one towing a small trailer, are seen in profile parked at water's edge. Beyond the lighthouse, stretching along the entire horizon, is a thick line of trees in full leaf. Five of the six tank drivers are standing in or near their tanks' hatches, while the sixth walks back to his tank. Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company workers have just opened the gate at the bow of the vehicle. Other military and shipyard personnel stand around a small rowboat on shore at the left, observing the action.

Great picture, There was a lot of WW2 era shipbuilding on the Great Lakes I'd guess. Here in the Rochester NY area there is still a massive building on Lake Ontario where they say landing craft were built.

A small point, LCT and LST, are two different ships. The photo says (and shows) LCTs. The post said LST

My bad, I have corrected my title.

The Great Lakes were used for a lot of Naval gaining from landings to aircraft carrier landings. I have been told they did this because nobody would look so far inland and see what was going on. It must have worked. Some Navy planes were found at the bottom near Chicago a while ago.

Really cool history lesson. People forget just how important the lakes are, especially those of us who live far from them.

Given the date the photo was taken, the tanks must have bore the yellow stars of Armored Forces. I always thought that was a neat look, but probably stood out like a sore thumb!

RC