A-2 Jacket patch ID and opinions

VenitHora

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can ID the patch on this or can add their opinions on this Jacket? It is named to a Lt. V. Jackson on the inside. Sorry for the poor pictures but the Jacket is not mine.

Thank you in advance.

post-8296-0-41178900-1453559674.jpg

A pic of the label would have been good, but from what i can see , the jacket looks original , but as for the paintwork ???

As has been seen on other threads regarding painted A2's ,it is a minefield !

My gut opinion is that the jacket out dates the paintwork ,but that is just my opinion

LB

Yeah, I think you need good, detailed pics to get some really useful opinions, but the colors of the paint are awfully bright, and the painting on the back doesn't look like the style of the the era. It almost looks like anime.

In response to your question, the the patch was the unapproved unit emblem of the

757thBombSqdn / 459thBombGp(H) / Fifteenth AF.

Bob

P.S. If you can get some better photos to post, it would help some of the guys on this

forum in gauging the age of the artwork on this item.

That is a very cool jacket.

The pictures aren't the best but I think the artwork is period.

Is the jacket by itself or are the photos papers etc. ?

The artwork is great and unusual and that will add to the value.

Hello,

Thank you all for the help. R. Watkins, really appreciate the patch ID. Found a Lt. matching the name in the squadron who was shot down in January 1945, but the plane had a different name and no other plane in the squadron matches the name written on the back. In person, the artwork looks a little bright compared to the patch which I believe is genuine. There are no other items with the jacket. Could still be genuine but without more proof I think the skepticism is founded.

Patch looks typical italian made.The design is cut into the leather then painted.Hard to see the details but if you saw it up close you can tell the details of construction.

USMC-RECON0321

Ah-h, once again paranoia rears its head on a Forum post............

Well unless that jacket is being sold very cheap, paranoia is not a bad thing until you feel good about it one way or another.

Here is my "opinion" from the pictures. I agree with several others the paint on the back looks recent to me compared to the wear / aging of the leather around it, but what really jumps out to me as suspect is the excellent condition of the Hitler painting, which is located in the center of the back of the jacket, that would most certainly get the most wear of any other part of the jacket. "most" anytime you sit or lay down you would be making contact with the back of the jacket.

Troy

Ah-h, once again paranoia rears its head on a Forum post............

I'm not sure I understand this comment. We are talking about a potential value of a healthy four figures for a painted A-2 and especially one that has character of the art such as this. These have been reproduced for one reason or another for 50 years so yes dilignece is required, proceed with caution. Call it paranoia and suspicion or whatever. What's the old saying? A fool and his money......

I have owned hundreds of painted flight jackets over 35 years.I do not like the painting at all it is very similar to the crap that came out of England in the eighties.It is not the same but similar.USMCRecon is correct the back should be more worn in the center.My brother-in-law was a B-17 top ball turret gunner and had a fully painted A-2 from the 390th bomb Group.The only place that showed any heavy wear was the middle back area right where the B-17 was painted.Unless I could hold that jacket in my hands and look at the paint I would not trust it at all.Scotty

Der Finn, I assume it's the name of the plane, but I could be mistaken. I do know the man was shot down on differently named plane and that there were no other planes in the squadron with that name. It is possible he just added the name on the back of the jacket because he liked it I suppose.

First impression is that the image has been 'touched' up at some point. Would be nice to look at the paint under magnification and see what it looked like. Although there are period correct images similar to that floating around on gear.

A pic of the label would have been good, but from what i can see , the jacket looks original , but as for the paintwork ???

As has been seen on other threads regarding painted A2's ,it is a minefield !

My gut opinion is that the jacket out dates the paintwork ,but that is just my opinion

LB

what are you talking about ?

owen

I am leery of the art work on the back as well, but style could be from that era....The style of Disney art work on this music sheet is not far off IMHO...

Bodes

14071203_1.jpg?v=8CF6680294B3150

what are you talking about ?

owen

In my opinion the paintwork doesn't look correct . Just an opinion Owen

northcoastaero

The 757th BS appears to have flown the B-24H, G, J, L, and M Liberator aircraft from 1943-1945. I looked through some of my B-24 and nose art reference materials and could not find No Use Adolf associated with the aircraft. 2nd Lt. Vernon Jackson was a navigator according to 459thbg.org . MACR 11065 was about the crew of the B-24J Lucky Lady in which 2nd Lt. Jackson was a part of. flicker.com shows a flight jacket belonging to Cpl Lorren Meador. He was with the 757th BS also. Hope this helps.

Do you collect or have actually handled many painted A-2s ?

No Owen ,I don't collect painted A2's but I do own a unpainted example . My post was just an opinion In what I can see in the image . If I'm wrong I'm wrong and ill take another learning curve .

Do you think the painting is 1940's era ? I'm eager to learn and don't mind learning from my mistakes

doinworkinvans

No Owen ,I don't collect painted A2's but I do own a unpainted example . My post was just an opinion In what I can see in the image . If I'm wrong I'm wrong and ill take another learning curve .

Do you think the painting is 1940's era ? I'm eager to learn and don't mind learning from my mistakes

I haven't owned a painted A-2 either and I can also agree with you that the back painting looks off and a little too fresh. Certainly not 1940s

The front MAYBE could pass but certainly doesn't give me peace about it either.

I think we can all have opinions, and appears our opinion is on the right track.

If not, then we learn!