Vietnam era Helicopter Pilot Helmet

lobojones

Hello Gentlemen,

I have what I believe to be a Vietnam era pilot's hemlet. I kind of horse traded my way into this in a package deal and just don't know much about it. It appears to me that it is complete, visor, mic, speaker etc. Although the foam in the ear cups are crumbling and falling apart. There is also a corner missing on the edge of the visor piece. Not like new by any stretch of the imagination but overall I would say its in good condition. Has a sticker on the back from the "Hell on Wheels" Not sure about this as I thought they were a tank unit? This also came with a duffel bag although I cannot verify that the name and RA number is associated with the helmet. Hopefully pics post. Just curious as to any input you gents might have and maybe a stab at a value? post-161702-0-01625700-1453439921.jpgpost-161702-0-51561800-1453439942.jpg

It appears you have an early (1971 dated) Gentex SPH-4 flight helmet as used by the U.S. Army. I believe that the 2nd squadron 1st Cavalry regiment was assigned to the 2nd Armored Division in 1970 and had at least one troop as an aviation asset. I could be wrong about that and hopefully other members can elaborate.

northcoastaero

Nice U.S. Army SPH-4 flight helmet. Used in helicopters and the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk aircraft. 1971 contract date. SPH stands

for Sound Protective Helmet. Issued in sizes regular and extra large. As far as a value, in my opinion, the extra large size

would bring more money and there is some damage. Other than that, it looks to be a really nice helmet. It is very difficult to

find the original Gentex olive drab painted plastic visor housings. The later/replacement housings molded in green plastic are

easier to find. I would say $165.00-$250.00 as is. I do not think that the helmet was used in a tank or armored fighting

vehicle because the communications cable connectors were different. Hope this helps.

2/1 Cavalry from 2AD deployed to South Vietnam in 1966 as part of a contingent from the Division (the entire Division did not deploy); not sure how long they were there, but if I remember correctly, at least one Troop (company) was an aviation unit & would've had UH-1H Hueys & OH-6 Scout helicopters

2nd Armored Division also had a forward presence in Germany during the Cold War & was sure to have air assets as well

If you're interested in moving this helmet along, let me know - I know a former Huey Door Gunner / Vietnam Vet that I'd like to get this for

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting information for sure. Not sure what the rules are exactly for posting information on this forum, maybe someone can advise if posting RA number and name is acceptable? It's possible that the duffel bag that this helmet was stored in belonged to the same individual as the helmet? I have googled the name and found a few hits for vietnam vets, although I believe they were deployed prior to this helmet being made. As they were on the ground prior to 1971. I also don't think this helmet saw much use as the leather and webbing inside is pretty clean and not really stained. I'll see if I can get some better pictures of this helmet tonight and get them posted up.

Thanks again.

Lewis,

Not sure I can sell this on the forum as I haven't reached the 50 post rule. Possible that I can make a listing on Gunbroker? I really don't collect helmets so this isn't in my wheel house.

RA should be an enlisted person. The number could give a clue to the year the person enlisted.

Look up the name in the internet and you might find out where he is now.

Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting information for sure. Not sure what the rules are exactly for posting information on this forum, maybe someone can advise if posting RA number and name is acceptable? It's possible that the duffel bag that this helmet was stored in belonged to the same individual as the helmet? I have googled the name and found a few hits for vietnam vets, although I believe they were deployed prior to this helmet being made. As they were on the ground prior to 1971. I also don't think this helmet saw much use as the leather and webbing inside is pretty clean and not really stained. I'll see if I can get some better pictures of this helmet tonight and get them posted up.

Thanks again.

Lewis,

Not sure I can sell this on the forum as I haven't reached the 50 post rule. Possible that I can make a listing on Gunbroker? I really don't collect helmets so this isn't in my wheel house.

No sweat - shoot me a PM & glad I could help w/ info - really a great piece too