WWII Navy/Marine Corps Crews Berth

Datreedude

Hello all,

I had posted this in a different forum, but have not received any responses. I purchased a large WWII Marine Corps unused uniform collection about 20 years ago, and in the bottom of one of the bags, was this Type A Crews Berth. Now, I get the basic idea of a crews berth, correct me if I'm wrong, it's a sleeping compartment aboard a naval ship. I have never actually seen one of these before, let alone in unused condition.

Were these used below deck or above deck? Any info would be appreciated, I just don't know enough about them, and internet research is not helpful. It is rather large, so I could not photograph the entire piece, so I took a general photo of part of the inside and outside, and then a photo of the only msrkings.

Thanks again...post-161684-14534192114614.jpg

post-161684-14534192241928.jpg

I need a better picture. Sleeping spaces for enlisted personnel is called berthing. It appears to be an awning of some sort.. But the picture does not have enough detail....if it is an awning it would be used on a weather deck to protect watch standers from rain or sun...but the ones I'm familiar with were usually white....

The piece is rather large, larger than any place I can take a photo of right now, so I did a drawing of the piece, there are 4 flaps, two on the ends measure 36 inches wide by 18 inches tall, the two longer sides measure 76 inches long by 18 inches tall. It looks like it went over some kind of framing. On the long sides, one side has 3 metal grommets, and the other side has 3 canvas loops with ropes. The exterior color looks to be either deep olive color to a blue/black, and the inside is this cream white color. post-161684-14534326698225.jpg

I think it was one you would find on a troop ship without the mattress. Kind of like a hammock without the rope. I will see if I can find some pics. This is a very interesting...puzzle...

That is an interesting idea about it swmdo. The ones in the photos though are different and had grommets on all sides for the rope.

I'm thinking this was essentially a mattress cover for the later permanent type berthing (like you would find aboard a submarine), and not the earlier type issued for hammocks. Don't know.

I think you are correct. It would be interesting to hear what others say on this forum. I never saw the style in real life so I find that interesting, it would be more sanitary for those who hot rack. Interesting the green color. Not a normal color for aboard ship. However, I think yours makes more sense. I have been on all kinds of ships since 1980 and have not seen that item in use so it predates me....