Latest Issue of the ASMIC "Trading Post"

Allan H.

This is how mine arrived today and the past two times I've gotten it : same thing: I complained to the PO but they blame the shipper- I have addressed this with the area person who sent me to the secretary who gets an attitude with me when I complained last time: I don't mind the bulk mail wait but this TICKS me off to no end. I have a PO Box and NONE of my other packages ever arrives like this: The PO person told me the machine must be chewing up the envelopes.

When I was a member I had ordered about six-seven of the patch and DI catalogs.All came over stuffed in a plain envelope...the manila kid.It was all tore to hell.The post office even taped it and put a note on it damaged.Several of the books were damaged.I spoke to Jim McDuff about it at a show.He was very gracious and offered to replace the items.I declined as they were going into a binder.He also stated he wanted feed back and to hear of any problems and wanted suggestions.I asked if the tyvek envelopes would be better especially for larger or heavier shipping.I understand about keeping costs down but to have around $65 worth of materials jammed into a envelope thats made for about 5 sheets of paper isnt going to work.

I dont understand the attitude either as I have heard this before when the secretary was contacted about address and missing issues.If its a burden and to much of a PITA then the job came be given to another.I know they are voulunteers and I know very well how volunteer work goes.But snide replies and letters are not very professional when recieved.

Jim and our area VP John Conway are great to work with.They always have had an open ear and want to be informed of issues.

vintageproductions

ASMIC has a new secretary who just started this month. It is one of our moderators here, Garth Thompson.

ASMIC has a new secretary who just started this month. It is one of our moderators here, Garth Thompson.

We all know what a friendly fellow Garth is! :lol:

In all seriousness, I know that Garth has wanted to serve the membership for a number of years and I am glad to know that he has earned the position. We have definitely been blessed with the additions of Frisco Hare and Garth to positions of importance within the organization. When I started this thread some time ago, I wanted to point out what a quality magazine the "Trading Post" had become. There have been some amazing articles in those pages with some even more amazing photos of rare insignia. You can visit the USMF for years and still not come up with some of the information that you find in the TP. I still use the article on "Chung" patches as one of the best I have ever read. There is something for every collector within the pages.

Allan

I too will echo the comments on Sean Conejos and the addition of Garth to the leadership of ASMIC. Both solid fellows.

Not sure if it had been mentioned earlier in this thread so I will and that is the level of quality that the TP has risen to under the tutelage of Dave Kaufman as editor. Issue after issue it just keeps getting better. Thanks Dave.

Jack Kelly

vintageproductions

You can also add USMF member Drew Kitt who is taking over as the organizations treasurer.

I too will echo the comments on Sean Conejos and the addition of Garth to the leadership of ASMIC. Both solid fellows.

Not sure if it had been mentioned earlier in this thread so I will and that is the level of quality that the TP has risen to under the tutelage of Dave Kaufman as editor. Issue after issue it just keeps getting better. Thanks Dave.

Jack Kelly

Thanks, but it's the members who contribute the articles who should recv the credit. My hat is off to them. I just organize the layout. OK, sometimes I write, too.

D-

You can be as unassuming as you want to be, but if it were not for your leadership and drive, the TP would have never morphed into the jewel that it has become. My hat has been off to you for a long time, and I'll continue to give the credit where it is due- the editor is the leader. The editor determines the direction that they publication goes in and steers it in that direction towards what he or she sees as perfection.

I'll say it again.... You can spend all of the time you want on this forum or others, or even google subjects all you like and you still will not find the depth of knowledge found in the issues of the TP. To me, it is worth every penny to belong to ASMIC.

Allan

I would also like to echo what Allan H has said.

The Individuals who work for ASMIC do so, not for money or glory but to provide valuable , historic information to perpetuate a legacy that dear I say it, most Americans ( and in the rest of the western world regards to their own country) wouldn't understand a bit of old cloth and metal.

Now that the internet has opened up,ASMIC has moved with the times thanks to the editor DK , colour edition , the quality of articles ,way more patches , DUI and insignia shown and a better website and also a forum to boot.

Phill

I've been an ASMIC member since the late 70's and have Trading Post that date back even earlier. Comparing those old TP's to the current lot, is like comparing daylight to dark. They just keep getting better and better. I can't understand why any military insignia collector doesn't belong to ASMIC.

firefighter

I've been an ASMIC member since the late 70's and have Trading Post that date back even earlier. Comparing those old TP's to the current lot, is like comparing daylight to dark. They just keep getting better and better. I can't understand why any military insignia collector doesn't belong to ASMIC.

Lee, I totally agree.I have TP's from the 60's & 70's. A huge difference from then to now.Not just in the images but the depths of the articles.But lets not forget that the internet made this world a latter smaller and made the collecting community bigger.We have found numerous unknown insignia & disproved a lot of so called 'rare' insignia, 442nd Anti-Tank for one.

I applaud the leadership, editors, & contributors to ASMIC & the Trading Post.

Keep up the great job.

BILL THE PATCH

Trying to join, I have my old member # , but website says former members log into membership service? Cannot find that option, been putting this off for awhile now. But time to rejoin. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Patch History

Trying to join, I have my old member # , but website says former members log into membership service? Cannot find that option, been putting this off for awhile now. But time to rejoin. Any help greatly appreciated.

BTP,

I will fwd your poat to the webmaster and see what he suggests. I'll let you know what he says.

I received the latest issue Saturday. I have looked through it and find the content exceptional. I have been working with Dave and Gary to index and scan all back issues for the ASMIC Website. We now have over 40 years of back issues completed.

I am in need of back issues for the years 1960-1968. Does anyone have ANY those issues they would be willing to sell, or willing to loan so we can complete this task? It doesn't have to be complete years, any issues in that timeframe would be welcome.

Thanks

Dennis

Hardstripe

Patch History

I received the latest issue Saturday. I have looked through it and find the content exceptional. I have been working with Dave and Gary to index and scan all back issues for the ASMIC Website. We now have over 40 years of back issues completed.

I am in need of back issues for the years 1960-1968. Does anyone have ANY those issues they would be willing to sell, or willing to loan so we can complete this task? It doesn't have to be complete years, any issues in that timeframe would be welcome.

Thanks

Dennis

Hardstripe

Dennis,

As you probably know, I have been scanning the early ones from the late 30's and 40's for Dave K. We have most of the issues from the very beginning and I will be getting to those you are looking for eventually. Right now I am spread a little thin on time but I have the back issues out and ready to get to them as time permits.

Thanks for all your efforts on this project. This will be a great resource for future collectors.

Dave J.

Patch History

Thanks, bill

Bill,

I just heard back from Gary. He will need your full name and/member number to look you up. You can contact him directly or through me. Send me a pm and we'll get this taken care of for you.

Thanks,

Dave

Dennis,

As you probably know, I have been scanning the early ones from the late 30's and 40's for Dave K. We have most of the issues from the very beginning and I will be getting to those you are looking for eventually. Right now I am spread a little thin on time but I have the back issues out and ready to get to them as time permits.

Thanks for all your efforts on this project. This will be a great resource for future collectors.

Dave J.

Dave,

If you could also send the files of the scanned copies to me I can index. I'll send you a list of the ones I need.

Thanks.

Dennis

Hardstripe

list of back issues needed.pdf

vintageproductions

What Issue had the top 100 patches ?

and what Issue had the top 100 DUI'S ?

Thanks for the help .

Same issue.

October-December 2013

Patch History

Dave,

If you could also send the files of the scanned copies to me I can index. I'll send you a list of the ones I need.

Thanks.

Dennis

Hardstripe

Dennis,

OK, I have the list and will start working on it. Take a patience pill, however. As Dave K. can attest, I can procrastinate with the best of them and I am in the middle of trying to sell our house, which means about twice a day I have to vacate the premises so that strangers can make fun of our decor. I'll get it done eventually, though.

Dave

BILL THE PATCH

Just renewed, cannot wait to get the new TP. Thanks to forum members for help!!

Welcome back, Bill!

Patch History

Bill,

I heard from Gary (the webmaster) that you were all set now. Welcome back and enjoy The Trading Post.

Dave