Blue Enamel Canteen

thorin6

Username,

Due to the extreme orange-peal finish, I'd hazard a guess that the example you found on ebay has been altered for reenacting from an M-1910 canteen?

Regards, Paul

I have a vollrath canteen like this one, and it also has the "orange peel" finish. I doubt this was altered, as it has the loop used to attach the cap, rather than the brass band that goes around the spout. Looks like a typical vollrath, but unmarked.

I have a friend that has a couple blue cups and canteens. Not sure how they are marked as i haven't seen them for awhile. Now that some of the older collections are hitting the market they are not as rare as they used to be. In fact I think there is stil a set selling on eBay.

I just purchase a mint unissued enamel canteen cup example one of the forum member here said I could get $800 for it I figure that was a far fetched price but now I believe! WOW

USMC-RECON0321

I started a new thread on the sale of that blue canteen and cup just to keep it from taking over this thread, and I'm curious to get thoughts just on those prices alone and the effect it may have on the market. (Or just 2 crazy bidders)?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/259974-blue-enamel-canteen-and-cup-sold-for-106798/

Troy

Test the waters....throw a couple out there and see what they fetch.

Is this your way of saying, since there aren't many of these floating around, the market should be allowed to determine value?....Bodes

USMC-RECON0321

Test the waters....throw a couple out there and see what they fetch.

No thanks, my luck on eBay selling is start low with no reserve and the auction ends at a price I never would've let it go for at a show! But then again I have 700 positive feedbacks as a seller, so I guess I should sell with 0 feedback from now on.

Okay, here is my cup and blue canteen seen on the bottom row and I'll even discount the set down to $1000.00. Any takers? (okay, just kidding, not for sale)

Troy

post-33000-0-66811700-1454456767.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am the one who sold it, as well as the canteen and cover. Same buyer won the cup and canteen, he paid for both items.

I was beyond amazed..US buyer as well..

Nice thread!! Love the pics!

I threw a pretty high bid in (I thought!) on the canteen planning to really go heavy on the cup IF I won it. I thought I would likely get outbid but that was as high as I could afford to go at the time. I am glad to hear one buyer got both pieces! On one of the other threads someone said they wouldn't pay more than $250 for the cup!

Best,

Bill K.

I am the one who sold it, as well as the canteen and cover. Same buyer won the cup and canteen, he paid for both items.

I was beyond amazed..US buyer as well..

Out of curiosity, why does it look like the same person who originally purchased this set on eBay last December, is the same person who was the high bidder for the cup & canteen this time around? Definitely seems weird.

resized_aa9b0985-dd02-4cdc-96fd-851dd4a7

resized_1a6615d0-e17b-4891-b08d-209a0047

Back to a former question from the preceding page: has anyone seen / obtained a blue canteen with a manufacturer marking on the bottom ? If so, by what manufacturer ?