Navy Gun Captain on an Apron.

carnut63

I picked up this apron recently. It includes a USS Colorado tally, gun pointer patches, and a super rare Gun Captain rating badge as well as a quartermaster badge. It's all sewn onto a early neckerchief.

post-6259-0-86138300-1453328402.jpg

post-6259-0-63605900-1453328411.jpg

I am going to leave this piece intact.

I've cut up just about every "patch blanket" I've been lucky enough to acquire. But, had I come across this apron, it's something I too would leave just the way it is. Unlike most old wool blankets I see with a bunch of patches haphazardly sewn-on, this apron is unique, well-done, and a really nice "time capsule.". Its whole is clearly better than the sum of its parts.

These were very common up through the early WW2 years as "Sweet Heart" items. You see a lot with the rating badges set with the top open to use as pockets. For a while, there were a few showing up on here.

I am guessing these all belong to the same guy? Do you think he went or transfer to quartermaster? Steve I agree but the gun captain rating badge is the rare bird for sure. Only the 2nd one i seen for sale. I have a 1st class but has moth holes.

I meant that the aprons turn up relatively often. The rating badges do not necessarily belong to who ever made the apron. These were made as give always to wives and girl friends. They were also MADE by wives and girl friends. I remember once seeing an old photo of a Bar&Grill in Norfolk VA where all the waitresses were wearing these.

I meant that the aprons turn up relatively often. The rating badges do not necessarily belong to who ever made the apron. These were made as give always to wives and girl friends. They were also MADE by wives and girl friends. I remember once seeing an old photo of a Bar&Grill in Norfolk VA where all the waitresses were wearing these. To me, what's on them is not as important as the "Sailor Art" they represent.

It didn't come from ebay, it came from a 'secret' spot...

I thought I saw it on eBay, and was going to bid until I saw a $500 opening price. Maybe I was dreaming; it wouldn't be the first time.