AN6510-1 with early backpad and unusual cushion

littlebuddy

Finally managed to get myself a seat harness at long last

Nicely named as well , and im in contact with the vets family regarding his history

LB

post-106122-0-49438000-1453322991.jpg

Congrats! Very nice chute and priceless connection with the military hero who wore it!

Jeff

Wish i got that one you had Jeff !! :(

Nice chute! I wouldn't say the seat cushion is unusual but rather hard to find accessorie. If you flip it over I think you'll find a pre war part number, thirty something? Manufacture during the war was greatly reduced due to cost and consumption of rubber. It is a nice mate with your early pattern kidney shaped back pad, it has a 1938 part number. Is your back pad horse hair filled or sponge rubber? by the looks in the pic its horse hair.

LB,

It looks like your long wait to find one was well worth it. It's a thing of beauty with those early cushions, and named to boot.

Congratulations!

Best regards, Paul

doinworkinvans

I see those strands unraveling......and one day......POOF!!

Nice shoot dude! That's a real screamer!

Nice chute! I wouldn't say the seat cushion is unusual but rather hard to find accessorie. If you flip it over I think you'll find a pre war part number, thirty something? Manufacture during the war was greatly reduced due to cost and consumption of rubber. It is a nice mate with your early pattern kidney shaped back pad, it has a 1938 part number. Is your back pad horse hair filled or sponge rubber? by the looks in the pic its horse hair.

Dustin , many thanks for the info ,once again !! I shall have to have a look and see if i can find the number on the underside of the cushion . As you know , it is securely fastened to the pack via the 4 corners with cord,. The cushion itself isnt in the best of condition , but i suppose thats the thing with 70+ year old rubber

The back pad feels very "spongy" so maybe it could be rubber ??

I am presuming correctly that this type of backpad is the same that was used on the S1 and S2 harness

LB

LB,

It looks like your long wait to find one was well worth it. It's a thing of beauty with those early cushions, and named to boot.

Congratulations!

Best regards, Paul

Thanks Paul ! I have grown to like it , it does need a little TLC , cleaning of the clips as these were stuck fast with rust

I have managed to loosen them to get them working correctly ,but there is still a lot of surface rust and pitting on them

LB

The significant other still speaking to you Carl?

Nice chute!

But of course Dan !! why wouldnt she be ?? she doesnt even know its here !! :D and i doubt if she even cares

Iike most things that she sees ," when did you get that ???"

" Oh ,that thing !!?? had it ages my dear ! " :lol:

Patience is a virtue. Congratulations, my Friend! Jack

Thank you Jack , yes my patience finally paid off !!

Hope to find you well my friend ??

LB

Very nice Carl! Very nice condition as well. Was the vet a flight instructor throughout the war?

JD

Im not sure exactly what where when this vet did during his service . His relation mentioned something about him being in the 9TH AF serving in N Africa and Europe and after the war being involved in the aircraft industry IIRC

Im waiting on some more detailed information regarding him, and when i do , ill let you know

LB

I see those strands unraveling......and one day......POOF!!

Nice shoot dude! That's a real screamer!

Thanks Dan , it has took some time in finding one , but real glad i chose this one now ! :)

The first thing i noticed about this harness was placement straps from the FIRST AID KIT ,PARACHUTE

post-106122-0-46754300-1453406202.jpg

Most likely it's just tied on but it's not a big deal. What you have is the Cushion, Parachute Seat, Pneumatic part no. 38D4100.

The reason I ask about the back pad is that it would help date it. Pre war manufacture they included a sponge rubber pad and for wartime conservation they switched to horse hair. The difference is quite distinctive, horse will be crunchy when you squeeze it and you'll be able to feel the coarse hair.

The complete assembly would be perfect for an inter war display 1942 campaign set ups.

Dustin ,on further "squeezing " of the back pad ,it is of a sponge construction .

I'm going to untie the cushion this weekend and try and give the whole assembly a sympathetic clean . As it's very dusty and some of the metal work has a fair amount of rust on them

I have tried to clean up the buckles and clips ,but im wondering how far should I go in cleaning them ?

There are places of quite deep pitting from the rust .Should I use a rust remover or just use a fine wire brush ?