Women in uniform wear regulation items

cutiger83

I am not pointing any fingers at anyone but speaking in general. I have noticed a trend that I haven’t been able to figure out how to stop. I don’t understand why most men see something on a woman’s uniform and immediately start thinking sweetheart item or non-regulation item. This doesn’t happen when something out of the ordinary is seen on a man’s uniform. When something different is seen on a man’s uniform, the research regarding regulations immediately starts.

These women were extremely proud of their service. They would not normally wear something against regulations. Just because women on the home front during war would wear sweetheart items doesn’t mean that women in uniform would automatically do the same thing.

I tend to look at a picture of a woman in uniform, research and compare to regulations or other pictures first. Why do men tend to look at a picture of a woman in uniform and instantly chalk something different up to “must be non-regulation sweetheart item”? How can we work to stop this trend of not regarding women in uniform the same way as men?

...Kat

Can you post some examples of where this has happened?

As I said, I don't want to point fingers and upset anyone. I want this discussion to be in general. If you would like, I will be happy to PM you some examples.

....Kat

We have many sweetheart collectors here, maybe they're recognizing a piece as, indeed, sweetheart

I haven't seen a slew of regulations research on either gender...it's well known that regulations were loosely followed and just as loosely enforced during the World Wars

...it's well known that regulations were loosely followed and just as loosely enforced during the World Wars

Brig,

Very true statement.

Thank you for weighing in....Kat

Many photos of men and women in uniform were taken at home after discharge. No officers or senior non-coms around to insure regs. were followed and everything was correct.

Wharf

Kat makes a good point, and it is essential in studying female uniforms...especially WAC and Nurses. I have handled literally hundreds of women's uniforms over the years, and the tailoring, especially on British, French, and CBI made ones bear little resemblance to regulation. Additionally, sometimes they wore pins that were given to them by their men's counterparts...kind of flair....and they wore them with pride. It was also PERFECTLY acceptable. I recently spoke with a former Nurse, she is now 96. And we discussed this very issue. Also recall, that men's dress uniforms also took regulations loosely. Theater modifications were frequent, and varied. As a military officer I am often frustrated by how much energy we place on uniform regulations versus operational effectiveness---today we follow regulations to the nit-noid detail...it was not the same back in the war. Also recall that the large number of folks who wore the uniform in the period......many of whom were draftees, volunteers etc.

Just something to think about....we can not put today's standards on the "greatest generation"

WW1 and WW2 were big wars covering a big world. Supply systems were never perfect and both men and women wore what they could get their hands on.

I would guess every vet could tell you a story about the lack of needed supplies during wartime.

In supply during war, bullets and bombs take priority over badges and buttons.

I prefer the term "Children of the Depression". All generations have their greats.

Wharf

I guess I don't understand.

Depending on the era of service, the insignia on a woman's uniform was miniature (especially in the Air Force) by regulation.