1920s-30s Meyers Metal-type Dress EGA Variants

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

This one may catch some by surprise. I did catch me off guard; (came in a period group from eBay, with lousy pictures, I wonder how many loose money from posting w/ lousy digital pic’s. A leap of faith has paid off more often than not for me) here we have one out of the unmarked meyer series with longitude & latitude lines. This validates the opinion of Gary; these were produced post 1926 uniform reg's and the china marine or droop wing series.

Upon close observation; between the ring and stock a very small ring joins the top of the stock, not seen on any other of this variation. Also the obverse is very defined and cleaner (no crude or slag) in manufacture, again, unlike any other of the series. This emblem is clearly different from any shown in Orgel's reference. And based on the design of the continents, this series does not definitively match any cap emblems of the period.

BTW: THIS EAGLE IS SEEKING A MATE

ega_012.jpg

ega_015.jpg

ega_013.jpg

ega_016.jpg

• 1 year later...
robert60446

Hi guys,

These birds were probably bitten to death at some point; well here is my contribution to M1920 collar pieces subject. I think consensus on those is: unmarked Meyer piece from slightly later period. I hope I’m correct here. Sadly there is no roller on it…

post-2829-1208612721.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

I concur, these were likely used in the 20's as a private purchase option, not issue. Further variations of this pattern apparently remained in production thru and possibly beyond WW2. As to whether or not Meyer produced all of these ever seen or the pattern was produced w/o hallmark for use on other merchants "store card" still remains a mystery. Here is an interesting early variation of these emblem:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4268

s/f Darrell

• 4 months later...
jeremiahcable

Here's an unknown maker and time period enlisted dress collar set that I picked up recently on eBay. It came in a mixed bag of items and from the images I believed them to be a 1920s set of Meyer made emblems. Once they came in the differences were apparent.

The shape of the eagle and in particular the wings is different as is the anchor. The globe also exhibits some crudeness not found on the Meyer pieces. The roller is an interesting one, haven't seen that type before. The metal is noticeably thinner as well, possibly a WW2 economy measure?

So, here are some images of the EGAs then a couple comparing one to an unmarked Meyer. Again, any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

post-8-1219678762.jpg

post-8-1219678777.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Drats, and I passed that one up! Good eye...! Well there's no doubt this is a follow-up design of Meyers original hallmarked pattern of the early 20's as best shown in your first picture of post number 4. Guess it was as you point out, a "new and improved" version to fit the design spec's of the 37 model. I'm not the connoisseur of the 37 pattern as Brig is, but upon seeing these (once he's finished ) for sure he can validate my the pre-war guess by looking at the eagle. Oh drats just another new pattern for me seek out, you lucky stiff... 

Drats, and I passed that one up! Good eye...! Well there's no doubt this is a follow-up design of Meyers original hallmarked pattern of the early 20's as best shown in your first picture of post number 4. Guess it was as you point out, a "new and improved" version to fit the design spec's of the 37 model. I'm not the connoisseur of the 37 pattern as Brig is, but upon seeing these (once he's finished drool2.gif) for sure he can validate my the pre-war guess by looking at the eagle. Oh drats just another new pattern for me seek out, you lucky stiff... twothumbup.gif

For quick reference for those who haven't seen the 20's pattern Meyer EGA, here it is:

ega0430j.jpg

ega0430jback.jpg

ega0430jside.jpg

Hmmm...very interesting pieces...I think I saw a similar single sell the other day, but pics were grainy...I agree with Darryl that the bird looks similar to the 37 pattern... as with the pasquale 37s, we'll probably begin to see more of these over the next decade or so

nice score, and yes, another varient to seek out

This is really a great place to see some wonderful EGA's. I try my best to stick with uniform groups and stay focused. After viewing all these great EGA's makes one want to dive into the deep end and go after 'em! Best I stay focused. Beautiful emblems! -

Many Thanks , Dennis

teufelhunde.ret
This is really a great place to see some wonderful EGA's. I try my best to stick with uniform groups and stay focused. Best I stay focused.

Many Thanks , Dennis

No doubt about it Dennis, collecting these emblems is addicting...