EGA device made by J.R. Gaunt, London, England

Rakkasan187

I was given a tropical helmet a few weeks ago and on it was a rather nice EGA device. I do not collect Marine items but this was rather nice and since it was given to me I did not want to turn it down. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the EGA device was made by the firm J.R. Gaunt in London, England. I do not know the era of this EGA but would imagine sometime in the 40's.

Any thought or comments are appreciated..

Thank you

Leigh

post-5554-0-51783600-1453152795.jpg

post-5554-0-96902800-1453152802.jpg

post-5554-0-06378100-1453152811.jpg

post-5554-0-72006500-1453152884.jpg

Nice piece! It's actually a model 1955. They still actually wear these pith helmets on the rifle range. Here is a link to the same one you have: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1533-model-1955-cover-pieces/

Thank you for the information..

So did J.R. Gaunt continue to make insignia post WW2 for the US Military..

Leigh

SgtMaddoxUSMC

At least until 1955! I'm not sure how much longer after that though.. Tim Brig would probably be able to answer that.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

He primarily focuses on Marine Corps EGA's so I am sure that he will see the topic heading and come to comment soon!

Not sure how long they made them, but it was long enough to see the end of the chocolate brown M55 as I have examples of this emblem with both the chocolate brown finish, and black.

An acquaintance last year was in touch with the Gaunt firm and inquiring about any records pertaining to US insignia, end production dates, etc but as far as I'm aware he never got an answer. I imagine Gaunt got out of the US insignia game sometime in the early 60's

Not sure how long they made them, but it was long enough to see the end of the chocolate brown M55 as I have examples of this emblem with both the chocolate brown finish, and black.

An acquaintance last year was in touch with the Gaunt firm and inquiring about any records pertaining to US insignia, end production dates, etc but as far as I'm aware he never got an answer. I imagine Gaunt got out of the US insignia game sometime in the early 60's

Thank you for the information

Leigh