WWII Marine Corps/ Navy Crews Berth

Datreedude

Hello all,

About 20 years ago, I purchased a large Marine Corps uniform collection. The entire collection consisted of items never worn or never used. In the bottom of one of the sea bags was a large rubberized canvas, and at the time I thought nothing much of it. Once I started going through all of it, I decided to open it up, and see what it was. It is marked Type A, Crews Berth, manufactured by the Sponge - Aire seat Co., Buffalo, NY.

I've tried to do some research on it, but have really hit a dead end. I haven't taken any photos of it, but will at some point. Can anyone give any information on this?? Thanks in advance.

Here is a couple of photos of this crews berth, it is too large to photograph the entire piece, it is basically a large rectangle, with flaps on all 4 sides. It has never been used, still pliable, and smells like supply issue...lolpost-161684-14531529819452.jpg

post-161684-14531529944044.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'd say it is the support for what they call a pipe berth or pipe rack. A rectangle inch or so wide pipe frame and the canvas is tied to the frame. The canvas is cheaper to produce than springs. I would say used in transports, liberty ships, etc. that carried a large number of troops.

post-913-0-84333200-1455936541.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Those 'racks' were still used to 1980 and beyond. Many of our vessels were WWII vintage (both of my ARS's were) and when we worked in the shipyard drydocks, we also slept on these racks aboard the berthing barges.

berthing.jpg