HGU-2A/P Tucson, Arizona Craigslist score

littlegto

I found this well worn HGU-2A/P on Craigslist in Tucson, Arizona. It is missing the visor knob and has a cracked visor but I didn't pay much for it.

post-150534-0-75363300-1453138717.jpg

post-150534-0-27674100-1453138755.jpg

northcoastaero

The helmet looks to be a 1966 or later HGU-2A/P with the spring lever ear cups. The earlier dated HGU-2A/P helmets had

fiberglass single visor housings with a blue visor lock knob. This helmet could possibly be made by Gentex based on the

type of paint and the paper spec. tag. Take a look underneath the front edge of the visor housing for the size and mfr.

The visor lock knob would be a white colored one either the earlier tapered one for a 1966 helmet or a taller one for

1970s era. The Y cable that is plugged into the earphone cable is for a boom microphone assy. Hope this helps.

The helmet looks to be a 1966 or later HGU-2A/P with the spring lever ear cups. The earlier dated HGU-2A/P helmets had

fiberglass single visor housings with a blue visor lock knob. This helmet could possibly be made by Gentex based on the

type of paint and the paper spec. tag. Take a look underneath the front edge of the visor housing for the size and mfr.

The visor lock knob would be a white colored one either the earlier tapered one for a 1966 helmet or a taller one for

1970s era. The Y cable that is plugged into the earphone cable is for a boom microphone assy. Hope this helps.

The helmet does not have the spring lever behind the ear cups. If that were the case there would be a screw in each side of the helmet for attaching the spring lever. The left side of the helmet is indeed drilled for the boom mic mount but that is missing.

My 2A, with spring/hinged cups, uses the chrome stud that holds the earcup tension strings, as the screw for the hinged earcups... do your earcups use Velcro to secure them in place?

neat helmet worth saving

My 2A, with spring/hinged cups, uses the chrome stud that holds the earcup tension strings, as the screw for the hinged earcups... do your earcups use Velcro to secure them in place?

neat helmet worth saving

Yes, the ear cups on this particular helmet are held in place with velcro but they both still have the strings that wrap around the chrome studs. I have a dozen or more HGU-2, -2A, -2A/P variants in my collection and it seems that each one has little differences.