M35 Cargo Truck Bed Covers?

McDermut99

I pulled these out of a barn the other day. I was told that they are the bed and entrance covers for a M35 cargo truck. Now that I have laid them out it is even more apparent. Is there any way to narrow down the era of this set? Since I do not yet own a M35, how much is a set like this worth?

-McDermut

post-153059-0-99059400-1453070559.jpg

Couldn't tell you the date but the smaller piece is for the cab end. The flap is for the back window. My guess is that the buckles go inside and attach to the bows.

The buckles go on the outside. They are used when the sides are rolled up. The top bow corners have a corresponding strap that goes around the rolled up canvas and gets buckled up out of the way.

your canvas is probably early (pre 70s/80s) because the rope is still natural fibre instead of the black poly rope that came later. Canvas covers in good condition are actually hard to find and would probably sell for 200-300 dollars with the end covers bringing another 50-75 each. The key is condition as rips, tears and discoloration as well as dry rot can make these worthless. These covers will also fit on the WWII CCKW GMC Jimmy. Repro canvas is available and a new set of repro canvas is quite expensive.

Tom Bowers

I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually worth a little more than that for the main cover as long as it's not stiff and about to rip. Canvas is hard to find but it's a smaller market since most people prefer vinyl with the rubber rope since it's much easier to use and clean. People sell complete NOS vinyl kits for deuces for 6-700 so if you plan to use it a lot you might be better off getting a vinyl kit and saving the canvas for when you want to be period correct. Sometimes you can get lucky finding vinyl covers really cheap. The one on my M925 was $175 delivered off Ebay. It had a 12" knife cut in it but it was easily patched and has been holding strong for well over a year through 110* heat, 15* cold, and 30+ mph wind with gusts to 60 for days at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

your canvas is probably early (pre 70s/80s) because the rope is still natural fibre instead of the black poly rope that came later. Canvas covers in good condition are actually hard to find and would probably sell for 200-300 dollars with the end covers bringing another 50-75 each. The key is condition as rips, tears and discoloration as well as dry rot can make these worthless. These covers will also fit on the WWII CCKW GMC Jimmy. Repro canvas is available and a new set of repro canvas is quite expensive.

Tom Bowers

The fabric is still in good shape and I have found no tears as of yet. They have spent who knows how many years rolled up in a barn.

The fabric is still in good shape and I have found no tears as of yet. They have spent who knows how many years rolled up in a barn.

I suggest offering it on the G503 forum and see if there are any takers. They have a thread for 2 1/2 ton trucks. There is also a website called "Steel Soldiers" that is mainly for M-series truck enthusiasts.

Tom Bowers