Reviews for J. Murray Helmet Restoration Services

McDermut99

I have a mid-war McCord M1 helmet shell that has lost a good deal of its original paint and corking, which I discovered after removing a layer of blue-green spray paint. The top of the shell has a few dents and the inside of the shell has some surface rust. I do not have the experience nor tools to strip the helmet, remove the dents, then recork and repaint it. I found that J. Murray Inc. offers helmet restorations and they operate on a case by case basis. I would like to know if there are any members who have sent in their helmets to be restored by J. Murray and what they thought of the finished product (and how much it cost in correlation to the helmet's condition). Before and after pictures would aslo be great!

-McDermut

I had him do a restoration of a beat up early McCord. I was very happy with the restoration and the reasonable price for the work. I'll try and get some photos posted later from my computer. Typing on an IPad right now.

I'd highly recommend him.

OK Here goes. The helmet was one of those that show up on eBay now and then that obviously came out of some scrap yard. I almost didn't grab it as I didn't need or even really want another helmet, but the heat stamp was 99E and I thought an early McCord deserved a better fate. So I got it for next to nothing. I then contacted Josh Murray and asked if he'd take it on. This was before he advertised restoration on his site. The images show it before and after as well as after I added a net and liner chin strap.

I don't reenact, but thought the old helmet deserved to get brought back to it's former 'glory'. It's a guilty pleasure favorite of mine for that very reason. Josh brought it back to life.

post-68384-0-41649100-1453088196.jpg

post-68384-0-11239600-1453088208.jpg

I had him do a restoration of a beat up early McCord. I was very happy with the restoration and the reasonable price for the work. I'll try and get some photos posted later from my computer. Typing on an IPad right now.

I'd highly recommend him.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did the restoration cost?

I did not have him replace the bails. Josh was convinced that it never had fixed bails and showed the clean weld for the swivel loop. I trust his knowledge on these things. It came back better than I had expected

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How are his chin straps? Do they look and feel like org.

The straps on the left are originals on my fixed bail helmet and the ones on the right are replacements from J Murray Inc. They feel exactly like originals from thickness to texture. A little aging to J Murrays would make them look nearly like originals.

post-161963-0-02748200-1456714556.jpg