Could this be a WWI ega?

warguy

I have been doing extensive research on a grouping I recently acquired. The group belongs to a WWI nurse who later married a WWI Marine Lieutenant. This photo of the nurse was taken in 1919. I have reason to believe she and the Lieutenant met when he was treated in France for wounds receive at Blanc Mont. I just noticed if you look closely at her left shirt collar, there appears to be the top of some insignia peeking through. Could this be the top of an ega? Perhaps a gift from her future husband? Trying not to read too much into this so if you think it is a shadow set me straight. Just looks to me like it could be......Kevin

post-21606-0-64837700-1453062641.jpg

Thanks guys! Maybe an officers silver and gold pin back from that era? Would make for a nice piece of jewelry. And yes, I agree she is cute. I have confessed to my wife that I am in love with a woman 80 years my senior. She finds little humor in it. Kevin

Leatherneck72

Every great once in a while you will find an early image of a woman wearing an EGA as a collar pin. I used to own an 1880's cabinet card of a lady that had an 1875 epaulette emblem turned into a scarf pin.

Perhaps an EGA, perhaps a QM insignia? Appears to be something angled into the globe to the left (as viewed) of the eagle

That insignia is displAyed on both collars of her coat. Don't think she would wear two sets bit who knows

On their uniforms, they would wear one caduceus on the left collar of their shirt even with the insignia on the coat. You can see the shirt collar insignia better on this picture that I found.

McClelland_WWI.jpg

Wow that may have answered it, thanks! What a great image. A DSC awarded nurse? Amazing! Never knew the nurses wore the caduceus on their collar as well as lapel. Thanks to all for their help. Always learning something here on the forum. Kevin

I found her citation was while serving on the front lines:

McClelland, Helen Grace
Reserve Nurse, Army Nurse Corps
World War I
Date of Action: August 17, 1917

Citation:
For extraordinary heroism while on duty with the surgical team at British Casualty Clearing Station No. 61, British area, France, August 17, 1917. Nurse McClelland occupied the same tent with Miss Beatrice MacDonald, another reserve nurse, cared for her when wounded, stopped the hemorrhage from her wounds under fire caused by bombs from German aeroplanes.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/09_women/b_awards_women.html

Wow that may have answered it, thanks! What a great image. A DSC awarded nurse? Amazing! Never knew the nurses wore the caduceus on their collar as well as lapel. Thanks to all for their help. Always learning something here on the forum. Kevin

You posted a very nice image as well. Thanks so much for posting it. I am sorry if I side-tracked your thread by mentioning the nurse with the DSC. I love anything to do with women in the military.

...Kat

Isnt this the CN for Contract Nurse being worn by both?

Ron,

When I zoom in on McClelland's picture, it is very grainy but it looks like I can see the bottom of the A for the ANC insignia. In addition, everything I can find on-line for her states she was in the Army Nurse Corps. I cannot find anything that mentions she was a Contract Nurse.

...Kat

My image as well, when you look close, it is the typical ANC for Army Nursing Corps. Kat, you didn't hijack this thread at all, and I very much appreciate you clearing this up for me. I admit I sorta wanted it to be an ega, as I know the back story here and it would have been a bit more romantic, but no doubt you solved this for me. Funny when you go into something with a certain hypothesis it just seems so certain. The 1917 DSC citation is fascinating. She was over early. In my group, this nurse went first to London as part of the British Expeditionary Forces, but was reassigned to a base hospital in France three weeks later as part of the AEF. Her service and other nurses like her is to be respected. Thanks again for sharing. Kevin